cinq (prononciation)

sarrah

Arabic
Note: when the following word begins with a consonant, the final consonant in cinq, six, huit, dix is not pronounced

par example:
cinq arbres /cinq livres

if the above note right
then in which of the following situations is the "q" of "cinq" pronounced :

cinq filles
cinq amis

Moderator note: Multiple threads have been merged to create this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hyppolite

Hindi
    That's not exactly true. In "cinq livres", you do pronounce the "q". In fact, you always pronounce it. For six, huit, and dix, the final consonant isn't pronounced when followed by another consonant.

Fred-erique

French living in Spain
    yes, cinq is a bad example because you pronounce the q in almost all cases except in cinq cents or cinq milles (et encore ça dépend des régions)

Hyppolite

Hindi
    Frédérique, tu ne prononces pas le q dans cinq cent ou cinq mille ? Et si c'est le cas, quelle est la meilleure prononciation ?

Fred-erique

French living in Spain
    Personnellement je ne le prononce pas, mais dans le midi les gens le prononcent. Je ne sais pas s'il y a une meilleure prononciation. Les deux sont valables à mon avis. Mais attendons de voir l'avis des autres....

sarrah

Arabic
    Merci Beacoup :
    So are you saying that on:
    Cinq filles
    & on :
    Cinq amis
    we do pronounce the "q"
    thanks 4 the input....

polaire

English, United States
    "Si tu es dans les cinq premiers. . . ."

[I think that's right. I vaguely remember it from Les Quatre Cents Coups.]

Some people pronounce the "q" as a "k," others drop the q. What's the difference in tone, if any?

geve

France, French
    Also, by pronouncing the Q you avoid possible misunderstandings between "5 premiers"/"100 premiers"... "in" and "an" are both nasal sounds and one could mishear one sound for the other.

Wedgetail

English
    Bonjour

I've been told not to pronounce the q in cinq when it is followed by a noun.

In the case of "cinq euros" would it be pronounced either:

a) sank-ero
    b) san-ero

Merci,
    WedgeT

thbruxelles

French - France
    We definitely liaise and pronounce the 'q' in cinq euros.
    We would also liaise the 'q' with any other noun beginning with a vowel or a 'h':
    Cinq hommes, cinq oranges etc

Actually I realize that I pronounce the 'q' in cinq all the time whether the noun following begins with a vowel or a consonant. And I think that is what most French do.

Last edited:

petitpetitours

English (USA)
    Bonjour! Est-ce qu'on prononce la consonne finale des numèros comme cinq, six, sept, et huit? Par exemple:

cinq livre (pas de consonne finale?)

Par contre,

cinq enfants (en prononçant le "q")

Merci d'avance!

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    cinq livres (pas de consonne finale?) :tick:

Par contre,

cinq enfants (en prononçant le "q") :tick:

Same with six, sept and huit.

soleil-sol

English-American
    Hello, I am having trouble understanding what is the correct way to pronounce the word cinq.
    I was used to pronouncing it sort of like this "sa(n)k" but the other day someone told me it is more like "se(n)k.
    I would really appreciate your input. THanks a lot in advance.
    soleil.

Wopsy

English - Ireland
    Stick with a nasalised 'sank' and you'll be fine, soleil-sol. It's easy to remember & you can't please everyone anyway, no matter which pronunciation you choose ;)

JAQT

English - American
    So, in cinq cents euros (or whatever), is the q in cinq pronounced? And in the simple cinq euros, is the q in cinq pronounced? In other words, is cinq pronounced differently as between the phrases cinq cents euros and cinq euros?

pointvirgule

langue française
    The original question was: "Est-ce que parfois on entend le q dans "cinq cents"?", "est-ce qu'il y a des Français qui le prononcent?"

For cinq cents, you may do like the minority or like the majority (especially the Parisians).

As for cinq + noun beginning with a vowel, however, the [k] sound is always pronounced: cink euros, cink îles, cink olives...

Last edited:
    Wikipedia said: (when stressed) the nasal vowels are lengthened before any consonant.
    According to this, cinq would be pronounced with a phonetic long [ɛ̃ː] ([æ̃ː]). However, the transcription on TLFi is [sɛ̃k], with a short [ɛ̃]. Is it a typo?:confused:
    Just ignore the fact that all length symbols are mistranscribed as colons on TLFi, such as trente.

Last edited:

Masood

British English
    I wouldn't get too hung up on it, to be honest. Simplest thing to do is search for cinq in the WR dictionary and click on 'Ecouter' to listen to the pronunciation.
    IMG_20181104_154555.jpg

atcheque

français (France)
    Still no more, since a long time ago. No one would correct you, unless it's not understandable or too abusive.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    Le Petit Robert, le Larousse, le Wiktionnaire donnent aussi la prononciation /sɛ̃k/.

Je crois que j'ai trouvé l'extrait en question :
    /o/, /ø/, /ɑ/, and the nasal vowels are lengthened before any consonant: pâte [pɑːt] ('dough'), chante [ʃɑ̃ːt] ('sings').
    On oublie là complètement la place du phonème dans le mot.:confused:
    Chanteur : /ʃɑ̃tœʀ/; pâtisserie : /pɑtisʀi/ ; teinte : /tɛ̃̃:t/ mais teinturier : /tɛ̃tyʀje/ ; conte : [kɔ̃:t] mais racontar : /ʀakɔ̃ta:ʀ/, etc.

Je dirais qu'en dehors de particularités régionales*, la différence entre /sɛ̃ːk/) et /sɛ̃k/ serait tellement ténue qu'on l'entendrait à peine. Le son est certainement court lorsqu'on fait suivre cinq d'un nom ("cinq heures" ou "cinq et deux font sept") et carrément bref quand la consonne finale est élidée ("cinq minutes") — mais on s'éloigne du sujet.

De toute manière : ne pas prendre tout ce qu'écrivent les contributeurs de Wikipedia (et des forums ;)) pour parole d'évangile.

* par exemple vingt prononcé /vɛ̃ːt/

Icetrance

US English
    Et le "q" dans "cinq personnes" et "cinq mots"? Et vous tous, comment prononceriez-vous le "q" dans ces deux exemples donnés?

Je pronounce toujours le "q" de peur qu'on ne me comprenne pas.

tartopom

French
    Et le "q" dans "cinq personnes" et "cinq mots"? Et vous tous, comment prononceriez-vous le "q" dans ces deux exemples donnés?
    Even if it's very slightly I pronounce it. I don't say / sɛ̃ /.
    I've just noticed that when I pronounce the sound /k/ in 'cinq personnes' or ' cinq mots' my lips are more rounded than the / k / in 'J'en ai cinq.'.

Edit: I'm still trying and guess what? That's the opposite. They're more spread.

Last edited:

Bezoard

French - France
    It depends a little on the speech context. I may pronounce the /k/ or not. Strangely enough, I would probably keep more easily the /k/ silent in cinq mots rather than in cinq personnes.

Bezoard

French - France
    Yes, exactly the same. That was very normal in my youth and my area (Paris). I think younger people tend to sound the /k/ much more nowadays.
    Of course, if there is a risk of confusion between cinq morts et Saint-Maur, I might sound the /k/.

Last edited:

guillaume de manzac m

English - London, Essex, Brighton, S.E.
    Of course, the cinq with a /q/ pronunciation is correct for English phoneticians.

I taught my students a mnemonic to remember French numbers : "There were 3 cats skating on a lake. The ice was melting and very thin. The ice cracked, of course and ..... un deux trois cat - s - ank. --- (to be spoken as "un deux trois quat cink".

e