circuitazione debordata di una cinghia

< Previous | Next >

guyfromleeds

england english
In the following text I am having trouble with the terms "circuitazione" and "debordata" as dictionaries give references to overflowing etc:

la circuitazione debordata di una cinghia di distribuzione può causare danni irreparabili sui cuscinetti

My attempt:

The unaligned circulation of a timing belt can cause irreparable damage to the bearings.

Thanks for any help.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Howdy,

I wonder about:

The rotation of an unaligned (timing) belt...
    An unaligned (timing) belt...

I think I like the second one better.

AlabamaBoy

American English
    Another variation:
    A misaligned timing belt can cause irreparable main bearing damage.
    Throwing a loose timing belt while the engine is operating can cause irreparable main bearing damage.

Last edited:

guyfromleeds

england english
    Throwing seems to be an unusual choice of word. I'm not sure it would be acceptable in a technical context. Unfortunately "debordata" means to overflow, which cannot be used for a solid object. I need a word to say it has gone over the edge of the pulley.

AlabamaBoy

American English
    Throwing seems to be an unusual choice of word.
    It may be colloquial AE... Sorry, when I worked on automobile engines, I was growing up in Alabama.

I suppose you would react the same way to "losing."

How about: Having a loose timing belt work itself free (of the pulley) while the engine is operating can cause irreparable main bearing damage.

puli_dog

How about: Having a loose timing belt work itself free (of the pulley) while the engine is operating can cause irreparable main bearing damage.
    Hi all,
    In my opinion, we are not speaking of a belt completely 'derailed' from the pulley (or in any way 'skidding'), but still running on it although in a sort of misaligned, 'off-centered' fashion with respect to the bearing axis. ('circuitazione' conveys the idea of 'still running'.) With the belt completely free of the pulley, things could go even worst than simply damaging the bearings (think of the poor valves and camshaft...:))

puli_dog

However the dictionary definition of misaligned implies it has been done by human hands and not by itself.
    It could be both... either a faulty belt / pulley, or an improper servicing.
    Anyway, googling 'cinghia debordata' or 'debordare cinghia' always brings to the description of a belt running inside the 'groove' of the pulley, not exactly centered between the flanges, or 'flanks' of the pulley, but too much outwards (or inwards). This creates an abnormal friction between one of the edges (bordo) of the belt and the facing flange, causing premature wear of the belt (and of the bearing because of the unbalanced load), and eventual possible breakdown.
    Here you can find a description of the problem and a photo gallery.
    So the best translation should describe this 'off-centre' or 'displacement' between the circulation axis of the belt and pulley's axis.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >