Cite for Purpose without Profit

twinklestar

Chinese
I knew there is a English term for citing a limited passage from the works of other people and generally without especially getting their approvals for the usage of such a context, teaching, etc but just credit it with the source and author.

What is the term? In my dim memory, it seems it associates with "educate purpose" something like that.

Could you tell me if you know?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You may be thinking of "reasonable use for educational purposes."

NB: If it is a matter of copyright law, you should seek professional advice on the meaning of "reasonable use."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The legal term for permissible use of copyrighted materials without permission of the copyright holder is fair use in the U.S. There are similar concepts in most other legal systems. In most English-speaking countries, the important word in the concept is "fair."

There are several categories of fair use including reviews, parodies and others. Educational use is only one of them.

twinklestar

Chinese
    The legal term for permissible use of copyrighted materials without permission of the copyright holder is fair use in the U.S. There are similar concepts in most other legal systems. In most English-speaking countries, the important word in the concept is "fair."

There are several categories of fair use including reviews, parodies and others. Educational use is only one of them.
    Right on! This is what I am looking for.

Thank you both for your help.

< Previous | Next >