Cities with the same name, and other city-related matters

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by merquiades, Sep 25, 2012.

1. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

2. funnyhat Senior Member

Michigan, USA
    American English
    Actually France's northern and eastern expansion mostly occurred in the seventeenth century under Mazarin and Louis XIV. England (it wasn't Britain yet) was allied to France for part of that, but to call it the decisive factor in the French conquests is a stretch.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

>Actually France's northern and eastern expansion mostly occurred in the seventeenth century under Mazarin and Louis XIV.
    The tradition of 1100 years of opposition cannot be neglected.
    There was a short period of alliance between France and Germany: when Marie Antoinette Hapsburg was the wife of Louis XVI. This period ended with the Great French Revolution. How will the fragile alliance of F. and G. collapse in the moribund European Union?

4. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    That would require knowing the names of other countries' states - or even that other countries have states.

5. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    Now fine - I don't expect everybody to know every bloody town or region in the world, but is it too much to expect that people pick up a map and just give it some thought if the destination they are buying a ticket for can really be the one they really want to go to.

I mean sometimes it is not even of any use asking the ticket agent: Once I was buying a ticket from Hamburg to Nykoebing M in Denmark - which obviously the one in the north of Jutland. That is what the M means. In other words almost straight north when you come from Hamburg. And the idiot in the ticket office of one of the major train stations in Hamburg (where I have never ever gotten any usefull information) insisted arrogantly on booking me via Copenhagen, meaning, goint north-east, crossing over by ferry, to the Islands, going to Copenhagen, catching a differnt train there going west, getting off for another ferry-boat ride to Funen, proceeding west back to Jutland, then proceeding north by the train that would probably be coming directly from Hamburg ...

I mean, is it too much to ask that people pick up a map and just switch on at least a minimum of brain power ... ?

An idiot in the same ticket office once tried to give me a ticket to Straßburg in esatern Germany although I explicitly said Strasbourg (French pronunciation - totally different). I mean Strasbourg is not just some small town ...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  6. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

What is the correct pronunciation of Tucson. Is it "two son", is not it? Why?

7. funnyhat Senior Member

Michigan, USA
    American English
    If you mean like the word "son" (homonym to "sun"), no. It's like "Two sahn"

8. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Why has the sound -k- dropped from Tucson?

9. funnyhat Senior Member

Michigan, USA
    American English
    Not sure. It's derived from an indigenous name, but I don't know if the "c" was ever pronounced.

10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    It is in modern Spanish. But that may of course be hyper-correct, like Parisians who pronounce the x in Bruxelles or Chamonix as /ks/.

11. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

Lorraine in France
    English (US Northeast)

I'd say "two sawn" with the vowel of "sauna".
    Wikipedia recommends this pronunciation: (/ˈtuːsɒn/ or occasionally locally /tuːˈsɒn/)

From wikipedia on the origin

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  12. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    This morning driving to work I was listening to the local radio talk show, and the host was reading a story of a person in Spain who was gored by a bull while filming the running with bulls. He stumbled on the sentence 'the man was taken to a Toledo hospital". His side comment on that was (somewhat surprised) was "Huh, there is Toledo, Spain??". :D I guess he is more familiar with Toledo, Ohio.

13. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    Keep in mind, in some places sauna is pronounced with the vowel of cow (roughly).

That would be an inaccurate pronunciation of Tucson.