citizens vote to choose <those?> who are to govern them

Yolandabfsu1213

Chinese-China
Hi there, I find part of a sentence read "citizens vote to choose those who are to govern them". I am wondering whether the attributive clause “those who are to govern them” is necessary or not--my alternative version is "citizens vote to choose who are to gorern them." Do you think my object clause is appropriate here?

p.s. The whole sentence is "What is common across democratic systems is that citizens vote to choose those who are to govern them." (Maisel, American Political Parties and Elections, p. 1)

Many thanks! :)

• Copyright

American English
    It sounds fine ... and even a bit better this way:

"What is common across democratic systems is that citizens vote to choose who will govern them."

Yolandabfsu1213

Chinese-China
    It sounds fine ... and even a bit better this way:

"What is common across democratic systems is that citizens vote to choose who will govern them."
    Thanks for the reply:), and one more question please:
    Do you think the change of the clause makes any difference in this context? Or do you think the original sentence is more authentic for some reasons? Thank you very much!

Copyright

American English
    Sorry, I'm easily confused by references. :) If you could write out both sentences, it would be easier to offer an opinion. Thank you.

Yolandabfsu1213

Chinese-China
    Sorry, I'm easily confused by references. :) If you could write out both sentences, it would be easier to offer an opinion. Thank you.
    Apology for being unclear.

Sentence A: What is common across democratic systems is that citizens vote to choose those who are to govern them.
    Sentence B: What is common across democratic systems is that citizens vote to choose who will govern them.

Do you think the change of the clause (from A to B) makes any difference in this context? Or do you think the original sentence A is more authentic than sentence B for some reasons? Just want to know if there are any nuances.
    Thank you very much!

Copyright

American English
    I like sentence B better. And neither sentence is more "authentic" that the other, especially since I don't know what that means. :)

< Previous | Next >