claim / insist

< Previous | Next >

meneiggles

español de España
Taken from a CAE use of english: "Companies are insisting/claiming that secretarial staff should already be highly trained".

According to the key, "insisting" is the right answer, but I can't seem to understand why "claiming" is not a valid one.

Any comments will be welcomed, thank you.

• José_A

Español
    Claim does mean demand, however, that meaning is fixed to some particular contexts like when you claim your luggage, so it means something like to demand what is rightfully yours. The more common use of the word is to state something to be true, "the politician claimed he was not guilty"
    Insist, on the other hand, has a broader sense of demand, and it's, therefore, the right word to choose because the companies demand that secretarial staff be already highly trained.
    If companies claimed that secretarial staff is highly trained that would mean that the secretarial staff is already highly trained, not that they need to be highly trained.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    In addition to the above, if you read "insisting" as "demanding" and "claiming" as "asserting to be true," I think you can see the difference.

I think I see the problem because "insisting" can mean "asserting to be true" as well, but in this case, the context does not support that nuance.

Context is everything. :)

EStjarn

Spanish
    To me it's the use of 'should' in the topic sentence that makes 'claiming' inappropriate. There's a logical contradiction between 'claim' and 'should'.

< Previous | Next >