clam bar

< Previous | Next >

araleeyo

Korean
Hello,

i wonder what kind of bar "clam bar" is like.
why do they say a bar as "clam bar"?
do they sell seafood made of clam(shell fish)?
are they cheap and reasonable or expensive restaurants?

could you help me please?

thank you in advance.

• araleeyo

Korean
    maybe it is not a bar at all.
    the sentence is, "Walking in it(Memphis) at night, I was trampling on someone's front lawn. (because it's not a big city) Even a place like Joe's Clam Bar, the sick light of it's red neon sign leaking into the dense night-shadows like blood. But Joe's would welcome me, and so would the next place, and the place after that." (Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician by Daniel Wallace, the parentheses are my adds)
    I supposed that "clam bar" is a common name for a certain kind of restaurant.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The word "bar" has many definitions. Definition #4 in the WR dictionary is:
    a counter where you can obtain food or drink; "he bought a hot dog and a coke at the bar"
    Often, you will see some kind of food or drink preceding "bar" to indicate what is served at this particular venue. Thus: milk bar, coffee bar, burger bar, oyster bar, and clam bar.

I would expect a clam bar to sell expensive preparations involving clams, probably along with expensive drinks. Not the kind of place one would visit when hungry.

Edit: I get the impression from the quote (thank you) that my clam bar is at the opposite end of the restaurant spectrum from "Joe's Clam Bar".

Copyright

American English
    A clam bar is just like an oyster bar -- a restaurant serving a variety of clams and other seafood (and often many other things, as well).

Copyright

American English
    I'm curious.
    Is your concept of a clam bar consistent with the image drawn in post #3?
    I think clam bars run the gamut from contemporary city places with brass railings and lush ferns and high prices to Louisiana joints with peeling paint and boudin blanc sausages and crawfish pie (I've been reading way too much James Lee Burke).

So I don't really have a concept in mind when I think clam bar. I figure they run a very wide range, unlike oyster bars which I only think of as up-market.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I figure they run a very wide range, unlike oyster bars which I only think of as up-market.
    I have just realised that I have, once again, made the foolish mistake of confusing scallops and clams in my mind.
    You can imagine how disappointing it would be after ordering a dish of clams, thinking scallops, when the dish of clams arrives.
    Not that I have anything against clams, as such, but they are a horse of a different colour, indeed they are a different kettle of fish.

< Previous | Next >