clapboard cottage

Evil Lverlord

New Member
Source phrase:
Behind it, there is momentary silence, broken only by the faint sounds of weeping from the sturdy clapboard cottage that sits under the willow.

My best effort:
[…]'une chaumière robuste bardeau[…]

1. "bardeau" seems an uncertain translation, since it suggests shingles (and I'm using it wrong), but the best alternative seems to be "clins". I can't figure out how to use either of them properly, especially in conjunction with other adjectives.
2. Other suggestions on the sentence are of course welcome.
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Michelvar

    French / France
    This is too precise for French vocabulary, in this context nobody cares if this cottage is made with "bardeau", "un bardage de bois" or with "une facade de planches posées à clin"...

    I suggest you just use "... le robuste chalet en bois situé sous les pins..., for example.


    Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Maison en déclin de bois is the term you might use in Canada, where, as in the US, wooden houses are quite common and built in different styles.

    A European audience would not benefit from that detail in most cases, since a wooden house is unusual, and maison en bois is enough to render the idea.

    PS: In many places the pronunciation of clapboard is a homonym of clabbered; elsewhere people say clap + board.

    Evil Lverlord

    New Member
    Thanks. I've settled on "chaumière robuste en déclin de bois", though it appears I need to check up on chaumiere, since most suggested maison or maisonette.
    @wildan1 - thanks for the link; that was what decided me.
    < Previous | Next >