DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
Dictionary Editor
IdF
French (lower Normandy)
claqué adjfamilier (fatigué) (UK, vulgar, slang)knackered adj
(UK, informal)shattered adj
(informal)done in adj
La journée a été longue, je suis claquée !
It's been a long day; I'm knackered!
"knackered": vulgar or not?
It can be found in the following entries as well:
knackered - English-French Dictionary WordReference.com
knackered adjUK, figurative, slang (very tired) (familier)crevé, claqué adj

canné adjfamilier (très fatigué) (UK, figurative, slang)knackered adj
(informal)dead beat adj
Après ces 4 heures de marche forcée, je suis cannée !
After four hours of forced marching, I'm knackered!

canné - claqué - naze - raplapla - flapi - mort - mort de fatigue - rincé - vidé - brisé de fatigue - sur les genoux - avoir les jambes coupées - avoir un coup de barre - coup de pompe - crevé - être dans les cordes - être en panne - flagada - KO - raide

• DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    One of those tricky ones. It's considered pretty mild by just about everyone these days, and most people probably don't even know it is vulgar in origin. To knacker originally meant either to slaughter or to castrate. It's that second meaning that makes it vulgar, and some people do consider it to be so (I'd say probably mainly older people now). I've added vulgar where it was missing - I always think it's best to err on the side of caution in cases like this. You don't want someone inadvertently shocking a little old lady.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Thanks, DrD :)
    It's actually the first word they taught me when I visited Liverpool when I was 15! :D It took me years to know how it was spelt...

DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    Ah well, that almost certainly proves it is vulgar. Getting foreigners to be inadvertently offensive appeals to the British sense of humour (well, among kids/teens anyway; most of us grow out of it :D). I hope you aren't complaining about silent letters in English :rolleyes: