clarity of purpose

< Previous | Next >

minhduc

vietnamese
Hello
This is an extract from Life after life by Kate Atkinson. The story sets in 1947 in England.

Sylvie had chosen death on VE Day. No note, but her intention and motivation were quite clear to the family that she left behind. Pamela said it was the coward’s way out, but Ursula wasn’t so sure. She thought it showed a rather admirable clarity of purpose.

I don't understand the meaning of "clarity of purpose" in this case. Would you like to help me? Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Her “clarity of purpose” was the fact that she saw very clearly what she was about to do — her purpose/intention to kill herself was very clear in her mind.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I suspect that it also means that there was a clear reason behind the suicide, rather than simply "the coward's way out".

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello
    This is an extract from Life after life by Kate Atkinson. The story sets in 1947 in England.

Sylvie had chosen death on VE Day. No note, but her intention and motivation were quite clear to the family that she left behind. Pamela said it was the coward’s way out, but Ursula wasn’t so sure. She thought it showed a rather admirable clarity of purpose.

I don't understand the meaning of "clarity of purpose" in this case. Would you like to help me? Thank you.
    Her intention and motivation were quite clear, so the different members of the family knew why she had committed suicide on that day.

Pamela thought it cowardly.

Ursula admired the clear link between Sylvie's reasons and her action.

Clarity of purpose is when the link between your reasons and your actions is very evident.

< Previous | Next >