Clarity requires clear

< Previous | Next >

Sorguinha

Spanish - Peru
Hi, I am translating a text into Spanish, and just found this sentence:

Clarityrequires clear definitions of industrial food processing, and clear distinctionsbetween different types of processing.

Mi question: Is this correct, I mean, isn't it just redundant? Or is it an idiom?

Thanks so much!

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    You are missing the pont of what the author said: "clarity" requires both clear definitions, and clear distinctions. For the writer, if only one of those things is clear, then you do not have real clarity.

Sorguinha

Spanish - Peru
    GreenWhiteBlue, my problem was about using the same term (clarity/clear) three times in a sentence.

'Clarity requires clear... and clear...' sounds to me like clarity requires itself. I might be wrong.

I will use the Spanish term for 'precise' in my translation.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I agree with GWB - the aim of the sentence is to make it unambiguous what is meant by "clarity" (presumably used earlier in the text and this is a follow-up). Something can be precise but not very clear.
    Compare "True purity requires a pure body and a pure soul" The sentence emphasises that both components must be clear to qualify for a description of "clarity". The use of the same word for the concept three times in one sentence is required for this point to be made.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    There is nothing wrong with using the same term if it is required by the context. There is nothing wrong with the repetition in the quoted sentence.

< Previous | Next >