1. pazza_ragazza

pazza_ragazza Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi everyone!! I have a question, How do you say "una clase de cocina" and the next few things in English, my attempt is next to each one of them but I would still appreciate any corrections/suggestions. Thank you!!

*Pavo rostizado --> Roast turkey
    *Stuffing de manzanas --> Apple stuffing??
    *Salsa de moras --> Blackberry sauce??
    *Gratin de coliflor --> Au gratin cauliflower???
    *Bisquits de queso --> Cheese biscuit??
    *Pure de ahuyama --> (I don't kow how to say this one)
    *Arroz con nueces y hierbas --> Walnuts and herbs rice??

Thanks for the help people!!! I'd appreciate it if you could correct this as soon as possible...thanks again!!!! :D

2. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    cooking class

apple stuffing (relleno de manzanas ?)

cauliflower au gratin

Walnut and herb rice

puréed squash
    puréed pumpkin

If these "moras" are blackberries, then, yes, "blackberry sauce."

3. pazza_ragazza

Spanish
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate the help!!!

And yeah, mora = blackberry :)

4. marquess Senior Member

U.K.
    U.K. English

5. twen Senior Member

U.S.A. - English
    Pazza,

I don't know which region you are from, but in my experience in Mexico "mora" is a mulberry (dark purple). Traditionally in the US, cranberry sauce (red) is served with a turkey and stuffing meal; since there was no word for cranberry in Spanish, restaurant menus used the term mora.

The word for blackberry is zarzamora in Mexico. If that's what the sauce is made of, so be it!

twen :)

6. Mr. Chaz

Mr. Chaz Senior Member

Alabama
    United States - English
    "Cranberry sauce" is indeed the traditional "berry sauce" served at Thanksgiving and Christmas (with roast or baked turkey) in the U.S.

7. pazza_ragazza

Spanish
    Haha, actually there is a word for cranberry in Spanish, it's "arándano" which is like a blackberry, but smaller (a blackberry is usually called mora or zarzamora, like twen said). Oh and yeah hehe that's what I was talking about, I'm taking a cooking lesson to learn how to prepare a Chirstmas dinner!!! (cena de navidad) is that how you call it??

Thanks for the help guys!

Mora: http://altnature.com/gallery/images/blackberries3721L.jpg
    Arándano: http://static.flickr.com/2/2352303_b52571e9c3.jpg

:)

8. twen Senior Member

U.S.A. - English
    The arándano that I know is round and deep blue -- the blueberry! Language is fun!

Yes, it's called Christmas dinner -- are we invited?

twen

9. pazza_ragazza

Spanish
    Haha sure you are!

Oh and yeah, I know which one you mean. I happen to know that fruit as arándano as well...maybe it's a different kind?? Haha.

Thanks for the help :)

10. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    The cranberry and the blueberry bear little similarity to the blackberry, which is similar to the raspberry (in form).

Cranberry tiende al color de borgoña; blueberry a azul marino.

Blackberry a azul marino (o morado)

11. monkeycita74

monkeycita74 Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico English/Spanish
    I thought cranberry was Arándano ... is it?

12. Doval

Doval Senior Member

New York City, USA
    USA English/British Caribbean
    Wow, and I always thought the "mulberry" was a blackberry! Had no clue what a "mulberry" was! They're sold here in New York as blackberries. Well, what do I know?

Regarding the arándano/blueberry/blackberry affair, the only definition offered by the RAE is of what in English would be called a blueberry. But the topic has been discussed extensively in WordReference. This link contains further links that may be of interest. I think it's fair to say that the "real" arándano is the blueberry, with the cranberry co-opting the name for itself. (Despicable thief!) Another forero's suggestion in one of those links -- to refer to the cranberry as the arándano agrio -- seems a fair one to me.

13. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Mulberries grow on trees in the US (in spite of the fact that children go around the mulberry bush). See here. And here.

Blackberries grow on "bushes" or "vines" or brambles. The fruit of the mulberry, the blackberry and the raspberry look alike.

14. twen Senior Member

U.S.A. - English
    The fruit of the mulberry, the blackberry and the raspberry look alike.

You mean in form, not in color, right?

twen

15. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Yes....but there are different colored mulberries :) Each of those three are clusters of I-don't-know-what that contain their tiny seeds (lots of little balls).

The cranberry and the blueberry are one large(r) ball.

16. twen Senior Member

U.S.A. - English
    Aha--different colors of mulberries--now that's news to me! Where I live they are all dark blue-purple!

twen