class flirt

< Previous | Next >
What exactly does class flirt term mean? I heard it on Archer TV series (Season 8, Episode 1), where Sterling Archer says: “Yeah, senior year, I was voted class flirt”.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, that's what it means. That's not a common saying but class clown is. That's the person in the whole class who is known for acting goofy and funny the most.

There's a tradition, theoretically (I've mostly seen it on TV), where the senior class votes before graduation on different categories and selects one person for each category - most likely to succeed, most likely to have five children, most likely to die in a stunt that goes horribly wrong... One category could be class clown. Another one could be class flirt but I've never heard it directly.

My guess is this might have been more common in real life a long time ago when schools and classes were smaller and everybody knew each other. Maybe smaller schools still do it.

Here's a website giving ideas for categories.
    A Full List of Yearbook Superlatives Ideas for Seniors (And Everyone Else)

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    My guess is this might have been more common in real life a long time ago when schools and classes were smaller and everybody knew each other.
    Look at school yearbooks from the '50s or earlier. It appears to have been quite common in those days.

nahaha

English - USA
    In the US, in high school, it's common to "vote" people the "most" (whatever), for the high school yearbooks. It's a very American thing to do. You have the "class clown" (the person who was voted funniest), the "class flirt" (the person who was voted most flirtatious), and then a whole bunch of others. I don't know if high schools still actually do this. I don't really remember my high school doing this, but I went to a more liberal/progressive school. Maybe they still do it in certain high schools. It's just a way to indicate that you've always been a certain way - "I was voted class clown" or "I was voted class flirt". Probably means "I've always been funny", "I've always been flirtatious".

kentix

English - U.S.
    If you read my link from above you'll see they mention something related to all that that I forgot about - Best <X>.

You could win the vote for Best Smile, Best Hair, Best Personality, Cutest Couple, etc.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    There were 870-odd people in my class; close to 4000 people in the whole school (including teachers and staff). There wasn't room in the yearbook for that sort of thing. :D

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    There were 870-odd people in my class; close to 4000 people in the whole school (including teachers and staff). There wasn't room in the yearbook for that sort of thing. :D
    Mine was big, too, but it was a three-year school. It's a hardbound yearbook.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    “Yeah, senior year, I was voted class flirt”.
    "Class X" is relatively common. In any group of school children/students there will be "the class joker/comedian/swat/idiot/creep/troublemaker/genius, [and some other derogatory ones], etc." in which "the class" is the particular school class. (In the UK, people are not voted into this position - they acquire it by reputation.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    In the UK, people are not voted into this position - they acquire it by reputation.
    It's basically the same in the U.S. These votes, where they exist, aren't binding.:)

And they come at the very end of a 12 year school career. They are just for fun and something to put in the yearbook for posterity. The reason people would be the winner of a vote like that would be that they've spent the previous few years cementing that reputation. It's just a confirmation of what everybody already knows.

For instance, if there was a famous "incident" where someone got drunk at a Waffle House restaurant after an important football game (the games are played at night) and made a spectacle of himself, he might be voted "Most likely to get drunk at a Waffle House.":)

Last edited:

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    A high-school girlfriend of mine was immortalized in the year book dangling a bra over a lit match. The caption says "Gloria Steinem Award". (Gloria Steinem was a well-known leader of the American feminist movement in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Bra-burning was an emblematic, if largely apocryphal, activity of this movement.)

< Previous | Next >