class schedule conflict

reginaregina

Chinese
I and my friend are registering courses for the new semester. The math is on Tuesday 11.00-12.30. The physics is on Tuesday 9,40-12.30. I have registered the math. My friend asked if I want to register for physics. I said :"no." It is because math and physics are taught on the same day. When the physics class starts, the math class hasn't end. I couldn't quit the math class in the middle and go to the physics class. Could you teach me one way to explain? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • kitenok

Hi regina...,
    Here are a couple of possibilities:

"I can't register for physics because my math class meets at the same time."
    OR
    "I can't register for physics because it conflicts with my math class."

Waylink

English (British)
    I and my friend are registering courses for the new semester. The math is on Tuesday 11.00-12.30. The physics is on Tuesday 9,40-12.30. I have registered the math. My friend asked if I want to register for physics. I said :"no." It is because math and physics are taught on the same day. When the physics class starts, the math class hasn't end. I couldn't quit the math class in the middle and go to the physics class. Could you teach me one way to explain? Thank you in advance.
    As well as using conflict, you could say that the two classes overlap.

The Maths class and the Physics class overlap so I can't do both.

In the specific context of academic timetable, it is also common in British English to refer to a timetable clash.

I couldn't do Maths and Physics because there is a timetable clash.

Maths and Physics clash on the timetable.

I have to see my student adviser because I need to resolve a timetable clash between Maths and Physics.

NB Math (AE) and Maths (BE).

< Previous | Next >