clause, article, chapter

tevcat

Hi, I got a question.
If I am writing a formal text and need to refer to a particular place in a law, code or another document of this kind, what is the best (grammatically speaking) way to do this? Here is an example of what I mean:
Say, I need to mention paragraph 4 of clause 3 of article 2 of chapter 1 of a law (any other legal document), what is the best way to put it avoiding so many ofs?

• tevcat

Thank you, Glasguensis. But then,
    - Is it okay to say Chapter 1, Article 2, Clause 3, Paragraph 4 of the Civil Code (I mean the preposition and the word order)?
    - Does one always have to proceed from the largest unit (chapter) to the smallest one (paragraph) or there can be options?
    - Are such terms more grammatically correct when capitalized?

e2efour

UK English
    It seems somewhat clumsy to write out all these words in full. There are abbreviations like ch. and s. etc.

Also it is not clear that chapter comes before article; it depends on the law. But the largest unit should come first in my view.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Thank you, Glasguensis. But then,
    - Is it okay to say Chapter 1, Article 2, Clause 3, Paragraph 4 of the Civil Code (I mean the preposition and the word order)? Yes
    - Does one always have to proceed from the largest unit (chapter) to the smallest one (paragraph) or there can be options? Yes (and no, there can't)
    - Are such terms more grammatically correct when capitalized? Yes
    In line with what e2efour has said, it is more usual to define a convention and then use the convention for references. For example Paragraph 1.2.3-4 of the Civil Code

tevcat

Thank you again,
    but I don't understand what you mean by
    it is more usual to define a convention and then use the convention for references. For example Paragraph 1.2.3-4 of the Civil Code
    I mean, I see that you mean some kind of abbreviation, but how exactly did you come to "Paragraph 1.2.3-4"?

pob14

American English
    In the US, each code (we have lots of them) has its own numbering system, and each system has a proper method of citation. You can't give a general rule.

< Previous | Next >