clay court tennis?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by danisac, Nov 20, 2007.

1. danisac Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    If you call "lawn tennis" the game played on grass, what would you call the game played on a clay court?

2. mllefraesp86 Senior Member

France
    Ireland
    We would just call it tennis. Lawn tennis is a specific type of tennis, in other words it is tennis that is played on the grass. As far as I am aware there is no other way of saying what you want.

3. Yarddog New Member

UK English
    I could be wrong but I think lawn tennis is just the old name for tennis - it dosen't necessarily have to be played on grass. Of course most clubs calling themselves lawn tennis clubs have grass courts - traditional name, traditional surface.

the name 'Lawn tennis' distinguishes it from real tennis (which is played in a walled indoor court).

'Clay court tennis' would normally be used in contrast to 'grass court tennis' not 'lawn tennis.'

4. mllefraesp86 Senior Member

France
    Ireland
    Thanks yarddog for clarifying that. do you agree that it should just be left as 'tennis' rather than trying to add anything to it?

5. Yarddog New Member

UK English
    Yes, you would play a game of tennis, not clay-court tennis. Unless you were talking about the professional circuit where a distinction is often made. Then you might say things like 'Nadal dominates clay-court tennis.' etc.

6. danisac Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Thanks a lot for your help!