Clean wood, linoleum and tile flooring with vinegar and water

< Previous | Next >

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I recently encountered two sentences in a way that confuses me. These two sentences are different but they have one similarity.

Sentence 1. In a book about frugal living, the author was giving advice on how to save money on various aspects of housekeeping. She said, "clean wood, linoleum and tile flooring with vinegar and water. You can mop with a mix of 1 part vinegar with 1 part warm water. Vinegar costs $1.50 per 4-litre bottle and saves you hundreds on brand-name flooring cleaners".

[[ Second question deleted. One topic in each thread please. ]]

My questions:

1. Why did the author use the word "flooring" after the words wood, linoleum, and tile? Shouldn't it be fairly obvious that she was talking about the floors?
2. If I were to remove [[]], "flooring" [[]], would this change the meaning of the sentence?
[[]]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    1) Other things are made of tile and wood - so, NO it's not obvious, especially since flooring had not been mentioned before this sentence. The tip is for cleaning flooring and it expands on it to tell you that it works for wood, linoleum and tile. There is also no rule in English that says you must use the fewest words possible :)
    [[]]

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >