Cleaning is my least favorite chore [subject complement?]

< Previous | Next >

Arshan

Farsi-Iran
Dear Sir or Madam,
In the following sentence,based on my grammer book "cleaning"is a subject complement.My least favorite chore is cleaning my bedroom.My question is what if we use reading at the beginning and change the sentence to "Cleaning my bedroom is my least favorite chore."I like to know what grammatical label "cleaning"has in the second sentence.I really appreciate your help in advance.

Last edited:
  • RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Dear Sir or Madam,
    In the following sentence,based on my grammer book "cleaning"is a subject complement.My least favorite chore is cleaning my bedroom.My question is what if we use reading at the begining and change the sentence to "Cleaning my bedroom is my least favorite chore."I like to know what grammatical lable "reading"has in the second sentence.I really appreciate your help in advance.
    There is no "reading" in the either sentence. If you meant "cleaning" then they have the same grammatical purpose in both sentences, to the best of my knowledge.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with RG. I also don't see any "reading" in either sentence.

P.S. Please note spellings: beginning, label. Also please leave a space between sentences.

Arshan

Farsi-Iran
    I am really sorry for the misspelling,I had forgotten to turn off the dictionary of my cell-phone.Sure,I meant" cleaning."

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I'm not sure if "subject complement" is the exact term you want to use. I think that "subject complement" refers to situations where there is not a direct object or indirect object: John gave the book to Mary. "The book" is the direct object. "Mary" is the indirect object. However: I am the man you think I am. "The man" is the subject complement.

Others with more competence may want to weigh in here. I am not sure I have this right.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    [...]"Cleaning my bedroom is my least favorite chore."I like to know what grammatical label "cleaning"has in the second sentence.
    Weighing in here regardless, I think I'm right in saying that:

1 My least favourite chore is cleaning my bedroom
    2 Cleaning my bedroom is my least favourite chore.

In your second version, you have made "Cleaning" or "Cleaning my bedroom" the subject of the sentence, so "my least favourite chore" is now the subject complement.
    What Is a Subject Complement? (grammar lesson)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, when you're equating two things you can say it as A = B or as B = A. Either one of them can be the subject, and the other one is the complement (the predicative complement is another term for it). Not all 'A is B' sentences are equations. 'Kim is a physicist' can't be reversed: Kim has to be the subject.

< Previous | Next >