cleansing <for/of> the mind

Learnathon

Banned
English (Japanese American)
Running is like cleansing for the mind and soul. VS

Running is like cleansing of the mind and soul.

Are both useable and what's the difference in meaning?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Did you write this? I've never heard running called cleansing of the mind (or soul). Can you tell us in other words what you're trying to express?

Learnathon

Banned
    Did you write this? I've never heard running called cleansing of the mind (or soul). Can you tell us in other words what you're trying to express?
    I have a lot of troubles in my mind and running to me is like cleansing it out of my mind and soul.

Learnathon

Banned
    A few miles of running is like cleansing for the mind and soul. I forget all my troubles and problems afterwards.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In my opinion, you can say 'cleansing run' but you will have to explain the sense in which it was 'cleansing':
    "I forgot all my troubles as a I ran and ran. After that cleansing run, I could concentrate on my homework."

Learnathon

Banned
    In my opinion, you can say 'cleansing run' but you will have to explain the sense in which it was 'cleansing':
    "I forgot all my troubles as a I ran and ran. After that cleansing run, I could concentrate on my homework."

What about:

Running is like cleansing for the mind and soul. VS

Running is like cleansing of the mind and soul.

So are you telling me these two sentences don't make any sense and is wrong? Even if it's just an expression?

Last edited:

Learnathon

Banned
    Please read number 6 from ASIC a Japanese company but have branches and products across the USA and is worn by many Americans and have many advertisements and commericials for the US public...

6. "Running cleanses the mind and body."
    - Asics

1. "Happiness is pushing your limits and watching them back down."

-New Balance

<< -- excessive quotation deleted -- >>

5. "Marathoning. The triumph of desire over reason."
    -New Balance

6. "Running cleanses the mind and body."
    - Asics

7. "Runs end. Running doesn't."
    - Nike
    << -- excessive quotation deleted -- >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Learnathon

Banned
    Do you think a multimillion corporation would put out something that didn't make any sense to the American public when it's major market is the Americas? What ever happened to creative imagination in the English language? Isn't that what sets English apart from other languages?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would not say 'running is like cleansing'. Conceivably, someone would say "running is like a cleansing of the soul".

(I prefer Miss Julie's formulation in the post #9.)

You are not required to follow any advice given here, if you would rather not. However, in that case, it seems a little unfair to expect people to spend time answering your questions in this forum.

Learnathon

Banned
    I would not say 'running is like cleansing'. Conceivably, someone would say "running is like a cleansing of the soul".

(I prefer Miss Julie's formulation in the post #9.)

You are not required to follow any advice given here, if you would rather not. However, in that case, it seems a little unfair to expect people to spend time answering your questions in this forum.
    I haven't run at the park in like forever! Probably my favorite place to run away from all my problems.. A few miles of running is like cleansing for the mind and soul. - This is from an article in a magazine.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    You are quoting advertising slogans. They are frequently couched in terms that would not normally be used in speaking or writing. We do not, for example, say "I'm lovin' it" when we are enjoying something to eat or drink, despite McD's slogan.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I've never heard of ASIC shoes, so I searched for and watched a few of their commercials. Parla makes good points about advertising. Copywriters always look for new, creative ways to present a product that will catch the eyes and ears of the consumer.

I actually think that, in context, using the word cleanse is a pretty good way to sell the product. You wear the shoes to do the run, and the action of moving helps to clear away - to cleanse the system of - negative, self-defeating emotions like fear, anger, doubt, and overall stress. Add to that the visual of the guy running through sheets of water, and I think it works really well.

The problem is that in your example you changed the structure. You want to say "cleansing is like" something. That is not a common way to use that word. The verb they used - cleanse - works much better, and it also lends a bit of classy speech to the whole project, because while it's a common word for clean or clear out, it's not necessarily the first one we'd reach for. It sounds a little more sophisticated - which I think was the agency's goal in the first place: the shoes are probably expensive and they want to attract the upscale consumer.

So they try to reel customers in with a cosmopolitan word like cleanse.

Running cleanses both the mind and soul.

That's written correctly and easily understood, but I wouldn't say it in a casual way. It works in the commercial because there are graphics and action that clarify it all.

< Previous | Next >