cleave, shirk...

Tengo una lista larga de verbos, que aparentemente nunca se usan o se usan muy poco, a ver si me dices cual es la razón ya que un post me aclarastes dudas de estas con "bestride", "gainsay", "wed", "cleave" etc. O sea, que a ver si me dices si el verbo es muy formal, anticuado o sólo se usa en literatura.

Aquí estan los que me rompen la cabeza: still, reave, shrive, balk, shirk, extol, delve, sconce, bask, better, flay, masticate, obligate

(a ver si tienes paciencia)

PD: me dejaba "nonplus"

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Tengo una lista larga de verbos, que aparentemente nunca se usan o se usan muy poco, a ver si me dices cual es la razón ya que un post me aclarastes dudas de estas con "bestride", "gainsay", "wed", "cleave" etc. O sea, que a ver si me dices si el verbo es muy formal, anticuado o sólo se usa en literatura.

Aquí estan los que me rompen la cabeza: still, reave, shrive, balk, shirk, extol, delve, sconce, bask, better, flay, masticate, obligate

(a ver si tienes paciencia)

PD: me dejaba "nonplus"

Hola Henrik! :p

:arrow: aclaraste >> sin la "s" al final.

Bueno, primero como regla general te cuento que los verbos como "masticate","obligate", "tolerate" que provienen del latín son considerados de uso formal en inglés.

Still verb make or become still; quieten: she raised her hand, stilling Erica's protests | the din in the hall stilled. >>> regular

reave
    :arrow: (PAST and PAST PARTICIPLE reft ) archaic - carry out raids in order to plunder.
    -rob (a person or place) of something by force: reft of a crown, he yet may share the feast.
    -steal (something)

shrive(PAST shrove ; PAST PARTICIPLE shriven ) archaic (of a priest) hear the confession of, assign penance to, and absolve.
    (shrive oneself) present oneself to a priest for confession, penance, and absolution.

Balk= AmE for "baulk" >>verb [no OBJ.] hesitate or be unwilling to accept an idea or undertaking: he baulked at such a drastic solution.
    -thwart or hinder (a plan or person): he raised every objection he could to baulk this plan.
    -(baulk someone of) prevent a person or animal from having (something): a tiger baulked of its prey.
    -archaic miss or refuse (a chance or invitation).
    -(with reference to a horse) refuse or cause to refuse to go on.

shirkavoid or neglect (a duty or responsibility): I do not shirk any responsibility in this matter.

extolpraise enthusiastically: he extolled the virtues of the Russian peoples.

delvereach inside a receptacle and search for something: she delved in her pocket.
    -research or make painstaking enquiries into something: the society is determined to delve deeper into the matter.
    -poetic/literary dig; excavate: [as ADJ.] (delved) the approach from the surface above had awed her, so hugely delved were the tunnels.

:arrow: Not a verb in my dictionary :arrow: sconcenoun archaic a small fort or earthwork defending a ford, pass, or castle gate.
    -a shelter or screen serving as protection from fire or the weather.

basklie exposed to warmth and light, typically from the sun, for relaxation and pleasure.
    -(bask in) figurative revel in and make the most of (something pleasing): he went on basking in the glory of his first book.

Better:improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement): his account can hardly be bettered | bettering his previous time by ten minutes.

flaypeel the skin off (a corpse or carcass): one shoulder had been flayed to reveal the muscles | the captured general was flayed alive.
    -peel (the skin) off a corpse or carcass: she flayed the white skin from the flesh.n*
    -whip or beat (someone) so harshly as to remove their skin: Matthew flayed them viciously with a branch.-figurative criticize severely and brutally: he flayed the government for not moving fast enough on economic reform.n*
    -figurative extort or exact money or belongings from (someone): plundering

Masticate: to chew (food) Formal

Obligate
    : meaning to bind somebody legally or morally

nonplus (nonplussed, nonplussing) (usu. be nonplussed) surprise and confuse (someone) so much that they are unsure how to react: Diane was nonplussed by such an odd question.

Bueno Henrik, espero que te sirva esta información que saqué de mi DICCIONARIO OXFORD. Los verbos en los cuales no indiqué nada, el pasado se forma agregando "ed", es decir son regulares.

Saludillos!! :p

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Muchas gracias. ¿Todo eso lo has sacado de un diccionario de internet o de uno de libro?

Henrik, esto lo saqué de un diccionario Oxford que tengo instalado en mi laptop. No es online ni libro... :D

OK. Por cierto: "shirk" es una palabra actual y que se puede usar sin ningún problema? Lo digo porque por ejemplo en el diccionario inglés-español del wordreference no sale... y será por algo.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Henrik,

Acabo de encontrar las mismas definiciones en mi vieja edición del Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Si quieres una versión nueva, busca en cualquier sitio web de librerías.

The Second Edition of the OED is currently available as a 20-volume print edition, on CD-ROM, and now also online. Updated quarterly with at least 1000 new and revised entries, OED Online offers unparalleled access to the ‘greatest continuing work of scholarship that this century has produced’ (Newsweek). To find out more about the OED Online, why not follow our free tour?

de http://www.oed.com/about/

saludos,
    Cuchu

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    1. The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary On Historical Principles in two volumes
    Little, William, Fowler, H.W., Coulson, J. & Onions, C.T Narrow your search to this author

Published by Oxford University Press, London, 1959 Third Edition Revised with addenda. Hardback. , covers and corners slightly rubbed with a few spots and marks, books in good + condition/, part of front of dust wrapper to vol.2 only. Quarto (over 10 - 1...

Offered by Keogh's Books $30.00 USD busca en biblio. com

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Henrik Larsson said:
    OK. Por cierto: "shirk" es una palabra actual y que se puede usar sin ningún problema? Lo digo porque por ejemplo en el diccionario inglés-español del wordreference no sale... y será por algo.
    Prueba en el diccionario English monolingual.
    shirk [ʃɜ:k]Averb
    1 fiddle, shirk, shrink_from, goldbrick

avoid (one's assigned duties); "The derelict soldier shirked his duties"

Category Tree:avoidfiddle, shirk, shrink_from, goldbrickslack
    malinger; skulk
    scrimshank

2 shirk

avoid dealing with; "She shirks her duties"

Category Tree:avoid

cuchu, mi duda era si "shirk" era una palabra de uso común o si es + bien una palabra tipo "masticate", "obligate", "augment" o sea palabras de esas que nunca se usan pero que aparecen en todos los diccionarios. Ya sé que "shirk" significa "avoid".

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Henrik Larsson said:
    cuchu, mi duda era si "shirk" era una palabra de uso común o si es + bien una palabra tipo "masticate", "obligate", "augment" o sea palabras de esas que nunca se usan pero que aparecen en todos los diccionarios. Ya sé que "shirk" significa "avoid".

In english we do not use the word "shirk" very often...If we said to someone "Do not shirk your work!" they would look at us like we were LOCO!!!
    te gato;)
    feel free to correct

te gato said:
    In english we do not use the word "shirk" very often...If we said to someone "Do not shirk your work!" they would look at us like we were LOCO!!!
    te gato;)
    feel free to correct

que pena, a mi me gustaba la palabara SHIRK, porque se parecía a "SHARK" :eek:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Henrik Larsson said:

Hola Henrik,

Se usa con poca frecuencia. La gente educada entiende la palabra, pero no se usa mucho hoy día. No es archaico, pero ...bueno te doy un ejemplo:

Los eventos de la semana pasada...[común]
    Los acontecimientos de la semana [más formal, menos frecuente]

He avoided his obligations [común]
    He shirked his duties [más formal, menos frecuente]

Espero que ya sepas que puedes decir Shirk, pero resulta un poco altisonante.

saludos,
    Cuchu

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Henrik Larsson said:

The person did not "do what they were supposed to"
    te gato;)
    feel free to correct