[Cleft Sentence] It was in June we got married.

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
When a personal subject is the focus, we can use who instead of that. We often omit who in informal situations when it is the object of the verb:
It was my husband who (or that) you spoke to on the phone. (or It was my husband you spoke to on the phone.)
It was in June we got married Source : Cambridge Dictionary
Hi.

According to Cambridge Dictionary, it seems that when the focus of a cleft sentence is the object of the verb, we can omit who or that.
Then, how can I explain the title of the internet site, 'It was in june we got married'? 'In june' isn't the object of 'got married'.

Thank you.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    For one thing, indirect objects are not the same thing as the objects of prepositions.

I gave my girlfriend flowers: flowers = direct object; girlfriend = indirect object.
    I gave flowers to my girlfriend: flowers = direct object; girlfriend = object of the preposition "to."

Szkot

UK English
    I think I've known wrongly what indirect object is.
    Me too. It was with some surprise that I read Glasguensis's post.

In answer to your question, the situation you describe - when the focus of a cleft sentence is the object of the verb, we can omit who or that - is not the only possible occasion for omitting the linking word (who, that etc.). If it sounds right, it is right.

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Hi, Szkot.
    Me too. It was with some surprise that I read Glasguensis's post.

In answer to your question, the situation you describe - when the focus of a cleft sentence is the object of the verb, we can omit who or that - is not the only possible occasion for omitting the linking word (who, that etc.). If it sounds right, it is right.
    I see. Thanks, Szkot. :) Of course it would be right, if it sounded right. But, unfortunately, I don't have the ears that can figure it out whether English sounds right or not. That's why I created this thread. And it seems the sentence I quoted sounds right to three native speakers of English, so I can be sure it is right. :)

Thank you.

Szkot

UK English
    As is often the case, the rule will help learners write good English - It was in June that we got married is fine - but it doesn't always work the other way around. That's the trouble with rules :).

< Previous | Next >