cleft sentence + to be verb

< Previous | Next >

Russkiy Bear

Russian
It's in London that he met his wife - I've got this sentence in my grammar book under cleft sentences. It's just one of many.

I was wondering if it's possible to use to be verb (I've got no single example). It's from London that I am. Would that be correct?

I know it's not how people usually say something like that but I'm asking about cleft sentences and the way they work

• Russkiy Bear

Russian
    I know haha
    I'd like to know it sounds correct even if it's odd

Ok anyway, let's try something more real with to be verb. How about It's with my wife that I'm angry. and It's about the tv show she's crazy. Are these correct?

Last edited:

sound shift

English - England
    Ok anyway, let's try something more real with to be verb. How about it's my wife I'm worried about?
    That sounds perfectly normal to me. I can't really explain why I have no problem with this sentence while "It's from London that I am" sounds odd. You ask about "correctness". I'm reluctant to call something correct if it's unidiomatic, even if it does use a recognised structure. The fact is that some cleft sentences "work" and others don't.

//It's with my wife that I'm angry.//

This is tolerable. More natural is "It's my wife that I'm [or, I am] angry with."
    Also, "It's six years that I've been here." Less natural, "It's six years that I'm here.

Although I can imagine a new prisoner saying to another: "It's six years that I'm in for!"

So, 'to be' works in some cases.

< Previous | Next >