cleft sentence

hyperslow

Polish
Hello there!

For the sake of practice I've tried to transform a sentence in order to give an emphasis to different words in it. What I've noticed is that not every transformation seems to express the emphasis.

Base sentence: I met her in December for the first time.

1. It was she whom I met for the first time in December.
2. It was December that I met her for the first time. December was the month I met her for the first time.
3. Whom I met in December was her.
4. She was the one I met in December for the first time.
5. It was for the first time that I met her in December.

Number three looks dreadful even to me. Do you think they express the emphasis and what is more are they likely to be uttered.
Thank you.
hyp

• kayokid

English, USA
    Hello. My personal opinion follows.

General comment:
    This is all fine for the sake of grammatical practice. Nobody talks this way (at least in AmE).
    Specifics:
    (1) sounds very formal.
    (2) It was in December... "December was the month ..." sounds really awkward.
    (3) You're right. It sounds awful.
    (4) 'She' is strongly emphasized. Sounds okay.
    (5) Awkward. Maybe: The first time that I met her was in December.

Wait for other opinions.

ewie

English English
    Hullo Hyper. My comments are exactly as Kayokid's except:

(2) Both sound weird/awkward.
    (3) Sounds like Yoda out of Star Wars.
    (4) I can only imagine this being said in reply to the question Which one is she? ... and even then it still sounds awkward.
    (5) Doesn't make sense to me.

Myridon

English - US
    If you're trying to make a cleft sentence, 1) is fine but 2) needs the "in December". Cleft sentences start with "It" + <be> so 3 and 4 are not right in any case and correcting them would make them the same as 1). I don't think it makes any sense to have "for the first time" as the emphasized thing in the sentence.

hyperslow

Polish
    Right enough.
    Let's sum it up.

Base sentence: I met her in December for the first time.

1. It was in December that I met her for the first time.
    2. It was she whom I met for the first time in December. ---> How to make it informal?
    3. How to emphasise 'the first time'? ---> The first time I met her was in December.??? Is this the emphasis?

Thank you.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The task is large: you're mixing several methods. There's fronting, where an element is just moved; there's the it-cleft, which is it + be + focus + relative clause; and there's the wh-cleft, which is fused relative + be + focus:

Her I met in December for the first time.
    It was in December that I met her for the first time.
    When I met her for the first time was in December.

I would have liked to emphasize the same element for each of the three types, but fronting 'in December' doesn't emphasize it, and fused relatives can't use who :)cross:Who I met in December was her.) So there's a table of emphasis strategies x emphasized elements, and some of the cells don't work.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Not to mention that 'emphasis' is the wrong word for a variety of effects. There's contrastive emphasis (Her I met in December, but him I haven't met yet), which is often done with just accentuation (Well I met her in December); and there's setting an element as topic or focus or background* (In December I met her, and in January I asked her to marry me). These can be combined (and on 29 February she asked me to marry her).

* or foreground - terminology gets too confusing for me here

Forero

Here is my take on the original sentences:

1. It was she whom I met for the first time in December. Sounds formal, and looks just like a non-cleft sentence.
    Another version:
    It was her (that) I met for the first time. Informal sounding, but more clearly a cleft sentence.

2a. It was in December that I met her for the first time. OK, with the addition of in.
    Another version:
    It was December when I met her for the first time. OK, but looks just like a non-cleft sentence.

2b. December was the month I met her for the first time. OK, but not a cleft or pseudo cleft sentence.

3. Whom I met in December was her. Very old fashioned pseudo cleft sentence.
    Better but almost a non-cleft sentence:
    The girl/woman/lady I met in December was her/she. Informal with her, hyperformal with she.

4. She was the one I met in December for the first time. OK, but not a cleft or pseudo cleft sentence.

5. It was for the first time that I met her in December. OK.

< Previous | Next >