Click close

kinai

Spain Spanish
I found this sentence in a story.

He was pushed in, and then the door was clicked closed behind him.

I understand that it means that the door was locked behind him. But is click close an idiom or slang?
On the other hand, would it be push in or push forward. What would be the difference?

• Mr.Dent

English - all over the USA
    "Click" is the sound a door makes when it closes. It does not necessarily mean that it was locked, only that it was fully closed. It does not mean push in or push forward.

Un Adorador

English - United States
    On the other hand, would it be push in or push forward. What would be the difference?
    "Push in" implies that the person was pushed inside some place. For example pushed into a closet or room.
    "Push forward" could also be used to mean the same thing. But it has a wider application. For example; Let's say, you have a group of people walking down a hallway and the person in front is pushed forward. They are not pushed inside of anything. They simply continue down the hallway possibly tripping and falling or turning around to confront whoever pushed them.

gengo

American English
    He was pushed in, and then the door was clicked closed behind him.

I understand that it means that the door was locked behind him. But is click close an idiom or slang?
    No, it's not even a verb. The verb here is "to click," and closed is a past participle that modifies the action of the verb. In other words, there is no phrasal verb "to click close."

The original could be reworded as "the door was closed with a click." That would literally be "la puerta se cerró (o fue cerrada) con un clic." However, you could omit "clicked" from the original without changing the meaning significantly.

Masood

British English
    La puerta estaba cerrada con pestillo.
    Click es el sonido del pestillo.
    Puede que esté equivocado, pero esto implica que la puerta estaba cerrada de manera que habría que deshacer el pestillo para abrirla. El original significa que la puerta está "closed" pero no necesariamente "locked".

sound shift

English - England
    and then the door was clicked closed behind him.
    I believe this is what some people call a resultative construction. In these, the adjective is the result of the action described by the verb. In this case, the door was clicked (by someone), and as a result it was closed [adjective].

Other examples of resultative constructions:

"I kicked the door open": I kicked the door, and as a result the door was open.
    "I wiped the table clean": I wiped the table (with a cloth or something of that sort) and the result was a clean table.
    "I shouted myself hoarse": I shouted so much that my voice became hoarse.

Marsianitoh

Spanish-Spain
    ..."la puerta se cerró (o fue cerrada)con un clic."
    :thumbsup: ( mejor "se cerró" que "fue cerrada"; si no se cerró sola, la cerraron los mismos que empujaron al tipo " cerraron la puerta con un clic")
    Otra alternativa : se cerró haciendo clic.

GeremiasL

Español - Argentina
    In my opinion, if we're talking about a fictional history(Horror, mystery, etc) or a tale or something like that I think that it seems that he was pushed inside a room, and after that, a door was quick closed behind him, I think that's the meaning that the writer was looking for the readers.

OtroLencho

English - Western US
    In my opinion, if we're talking about a fictional history(Horror, mystery, etc) or a tale or something like that I think that it seems that he was pushed inside a room, and after that, a door was quick closed behind him, I think that's the meaning that the writer was looking for the readers.
    I respectfully disagree: As several native speakers have previously indicated, the sentence refers to the "click" sound a door makes when the latch engages.