climate change and the climate crisis

< Previous | Next >

revisit_asakusa

Japanese
Hi all,

following is a news article from ajplus.net:

Jeff Bezos pledged $10 billion to fight climate change, but some Amazon employees say his company is playing a role in the climate crisis.

My first question is that why climate change doesn’t come with an article. I learned that a countable noun with an adjective comes with an article, such as “the Honda automobile company”. Or is “change” an uncountable noun?

A second question is that why climate crisis comes with “the”. Is this because climate crisis is a restatement of climate change?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Climate change" appears to have entered the language as the name of something, so it does not (usually) have an article, or any other determiner for that matter, but it isn't a true proper noun because it is not capitalised.

I expect "climate crises" will also become a name (it appears to be replacing "climate change"), but I suspect this will always have the definite article (like, for example, the Second World War). However, I don't think it's there yet. There are no definite rules for which names have articles and which don't.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Climate change" is the name of a political movement. That movement was previousy called "global warming". The name was changed, but the organization remained. So it does not use "the".

Jeff Bezos pledged $10 billion to fight climate change
    Jeff Bezos pledged $10 billion to the political movement that is "against" climate change.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Jeff Bezos pledged $10 billion to fight climate change
    Grassy, who did Jeff Bezos pledge money to? He did not pledge money to a wikipedia definition involving millions of years. He pledged money to a political movement or a political organization.

I agree with the wikipedia article, but that does not contradict me. Words and phrases have multiple meanings. The "climate change" in your wikipedia article cannot be "fought". It simply exists. It has always existed.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Crime" and "corruption" are perjorative terms for things that are bad.

"Climate change" is not a perjorative term for a thing that is bad.

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Climate change" is the name of a political movement.
    It might well be (although in that case I would expect it to be capitalised). However, it is far more widely used as a label for a phenomenon. Other labels are also used, such as "global warming" and, increasingly, "climate crisis".

Tommy2Sheds

English - UK
    Going back to the OP's question:
    "Climate change" does not take an article because it is a general phenomena with lots of aspects, for example retreat of glaciers, shrinking of the ice caps, reduction of flow in the Colorado River, sea level rise. Climate change can have many impacts, for example stratospheric cooling and sea level warming in the atmosphere. "The" climate change would be too specific, and would cause the reader to ask "which one?"

"The" climate crisis refers to the issues associated with the ways the climate is changing now, and how these will impact humans and the environment.

Bezos has pledged money to help fight "climate change" in that he is putting forward cash to combat the reasons that the climate is changing, specifically the causes as laid out by the IPCC (they have concluded this is mainly due to humans releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels).

There are political movements involving "climate change activists" and " climate change deniers", and other movements involving those who accept climate change is happening but do not accept the IPCC findings, but these are separate from the above definitions, and "climate change" by itself is not a political movement.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Grassy, who did Jeff Bezos pledge money to? He did not pledge money to a wikipedia definition involving millions of years. He pledged money to a political movement or a political organization. :cross:

I agree with the wikipedia article, but that does not contradict me. Words and phrases have multiple meanings. The "climate change" in your wikipedia article cannot be "fought". It simply exists. It has always existed.
    "Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos announced Monday he is committing $10 billion to fight climate change, which he calls "the biggest threat to our planet."

Bezos says the funds will go toward the creation of the Bezos Earth Fund."
    Jeff Bezos pledged $10 billion to the political movement that is "against" climate change.
    No, he pledged the money to do something about the human contribution to climate change which he considers to be a crisis. He is not "against" climate change! If one is a climate denier, then the whole thing will be worded in political terms. If not, it's simply science and evaluation of what can be done to control the human contribution.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >