Climb on board

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eli7, Mar 13, 2018.

1. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    In Lie to Me series, the sister of the expert's colleague meets the expert, Cal, for the first time. She says to him: "You are super sexy. Do you want to make out?", and he replies:" Absolutely. Climb on board, darling.

Does "climb on board" mean "I agree"?
    I know that one of the meanings of "on board" is "in agreement with", but why the speaker has used the verb "climb"?

2. Chasint Senior Member

English - England
    We climb on board a bus, a train, a boat etc.

It sounds as though he wants her to get on top of him! (or at least grab him and start making out)

3. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    No, he didn't want to do that. he was just teasing her or being sarcastic. He is a good man and never wants to have affairs or something with someone except his wife.
    Now, what do you think?

P.S: I corrected my typos.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I think you haven't seen the show. Cal is divorced.
    People can tease and flirt without wanting to actually do the things they say.

5. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    He is divorced, but not emotionally! he still loves his wife and meets her in her bedroom once in a while. Besides, he never cheated on her, at least till season 2, which I am still watching.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    He doesn't have a wife so he can't literally cheat on her. She is engaged to be married. If sleeping with an engaged woman is your idea of "good", so be it. ;)
    Regardless, married people can flirt without cheating.

7. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    Ex-wife I meant. Haha, good point, No I'm against that (sleeping with an engaged woman..).

So, do you agree with Chasint in post #2? Then my interpretation in post #1 must be correct, right? He meant he agreed to do that.

8. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    For the definition of "on board" you cite in the OP, he would say "I'm on board with that."
    "Climb on board" means "Get on top of me as if I am a boat/train/etc." That's a large step beyond "making out." I doubt either one is being serious.

9. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    What do you mean by that? You believe he was not serious by saying that?

10. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Did they have sex right then and there (or ever)?

11. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    I got it ;)