climb on / climb up (on) the bed

< Previous | Next >

cilangi

hungarian
Which of the following sentences is correct?
If each is correct then what's the difference between them?
The child climbs on the bed.
The child climbs up the bed.
The child climbs up on the bed.

Thank you

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    None are perfect. These are the strict interpretations:
    1. The child climbs on the bed. -> The child is already on the bed and is climbing... this seems impossible.
    2. The child climbs up the bed. -> We need to imagine a very tall bed (perhaps a 'fourposter') and the child climbing vertically.
    3. The child climbs up on the bed. "up" is an adverb = 'upwards'. On is a preposition of place. -> The child climbs upwards when he is on the bed.

The child climbs onto the bed. :tick: Climb is a verb of motion and "onto" is a preposition of motion. The child was on the floor and climbs into a position in which he is "on" the bed.

You will find 1. used but it is colloquial. I would compare it with the difference between

I walked in the room -> Whilst I was in the room, I walked.
    I walked into the room -> I entered the room.

cilangi

hungarian
    Yes, my child is just 1 year old and the bed is a bit too high for him. But he tries to.... climb up :D So none of the 3 are good, rather just onto?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The following work:
    "My child is just 1 year old and the bed is a bit too high for him but he still tries to climb up the side."
    "My child is just 1 year old and the bed is a bit too high for him but he still tries to climb onto it."
    "My child is just 1 year old and the bed is a bit too high for him but he still tries to climb up onto it."

< Previous | Next >