climb up it

< Previous | Next >
  • dn88

Polish
    Of course assuming that the listener already knows what the "it" refers to. And I think he/she does since you have used the definite article. ;)

And welcome to the forums. :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    is it ok to say climb up it instead of climb up the ladder? Thanks
    Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't.
    You really need to give us more information about the situation you are thinking about.
    I think it's very unlikely that I would ever say "Climb up it," so I'm worried that the simple answer "Yes, that is correct," could be misleading.

Tazzler

American English
    Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't.
    You really need to give us more information about the situation you are thinking about.
    I think it's very unlikely that I would ever say "Climb up it," so I'm worried that the simple answer "Yes, that is correct," could be misleading.
    It's unlikely that I will too, but it could happen. :)

Maybe I like to assume to much, but here's some clarification for salta. If you want to replace "ladder" with "it", you can do so, without any change in word order. It's an easy switch.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Just to confirm that you cannot say 'Climb it up' because climb up is not a phrasal verb, unlike, say, eat up.

I suppose a situation like this might cause someone to say 'climb up it'.

A: I'm at the bottom of the ladder.
    B: Well, what are you waiting for? Climb up it!

salta

Spanish-Argentina
    thank you all for your answers. the fact is I was taught that we can't use an object pronoun in the middle of a phrasal but now I'm reading a book which says I can. so, I'm confused but your examples have been of much help. appreciate it!

< Previous | Next >