climb up the (outside of the) house

< Previous | Next >

lokasseyve

Mandarin
Hi,
1) The thief climbed up the house and finally arrived at the balcony.
2) The thief climbed up the outside of the house and finally got to the balcony.

Although they seem to have the same meaning, I wonder which expression sounds more natural to your ears.

Thank you in advance.

• suzi br

English / England
    They both sound OK, though I am not sure about using “finally”.

I only use finally to suggest the end of something (which it is not in this case - since the thief will go on to do some stealing). Or I use it to describe a stage that has taken a big effort to finish. It is hardly a big effort to reach balcony, compared to finally reaching the summit of a mountian, for instance.

Packard

USA, English
    I think they are OK for conversation, but a little wanting for a newspaper account. If the thief's goal was to get to the balcony, then either works for me. But if the balcony is a point of entry to the house (where he wants to steal items) then I would treat it as an intermediary point and not a destination.

I think I would choose other words to mean the same thing:

"Scaled" = "climbed"

"Accessed" replaces "got to".

And then I would be more specific on the wall itself (brick wall, stone wall, clapboard wall, etc.)

The thief scaled the brick wall to access the balcony; from there he was able to enter the house.

< Previous | Next >