climb up to the heaven/sky

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
This task is as hard as climbing up to the heaven/sky.

The above is our way of describing something is extremely hard. Does it make sense to you? If not, what's the correct comparison here? Thanks.

• quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I think climbing up to the heavens (or to heaven)is a charming way of describing a difficult task. It is not one we use, but it works well.
    Thanks, tepatria.
    But I'm really all at sea as to the heavens or to heaven; when should I use the plural form and when singular? Are there reasons or rules?

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    This task is as hard as climbing up to the heaven/sky.

The above is our way of describing something is extremely hard. Does it make sense to you? If not, what's the correct comparison here? Thanks.
    Hummm....talking about mission impossible..:rolleyes:

I think this is a more American version:
    --It's like looking for a needle in the ocean/sea.

And there's also a Chinese saying like this, right? (How about that?:cool::D)

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Hummm....talking about mission impossible..:rolleyes:

I think this is a more American version:
    --It's like looking for a needle in the ocean/sea.

And there's also a Chinese saying like this, right? (How about that?:cool::D)
    Thanks, nichec.
    Thanks to your reminder, now I remember there is one English counterpart--Looking for a needle in a hay.

JamesM

It's "like looking for a needle in a haystack." :)

One saying that came to mind when I read your post:

"reaching for the moon" = attempting to do something beyond your capabilities

Here's another:

"like emptying the sea with a spoon/sieve/cup"

This saying seems to have many objects at the end of it. My personal favorite is the sieve. There's a truly impossible task! :)

< Previous | Next >