clin d'œil aux formes des années 70

b00007697

French
Bonjour

Je n'arrive pas à trouver l'expression anglaise qui traduit un "clin d'oeil" au sens figuré
ex : cette robe est un clin d'oeil aux formes des années 60-70.

Auriez vous quelque chose à me proposer ?
Merci

Moderator's note: several threads have been merged to create this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • hibouette

France and French
    faire un clin d'oeil = give a wink !

Mais dans ce cas, je dirais "brought back to the sixties' spirit" (I'm not sure)

mgarizona

US - American English
    throwback works, but can have a negative connotation.

If the sense is a positive one--- en hommage--- one could say "is a tip of the hat to ..."

Nicer might be "harkens back to ..."

edwingill

England English
    I looked up throwback in Harraps and they gave this example:those new hats are a throwback to the 1930s. ces nouveaux chapeaux marquent un retour aux années 30 ou sont inspirés des années 30

NYCPrincesse

English, USA
    la_cavalière said:
    "a nod to" is also frequently used when referring to fashion.

This dress is a nod to the designs from the '60s and '70s.

I agree with Cavaliere, a nod to seems to convey exactly the same meaning (wink of the eye, nod of the hat).

pitchou

Belgium French
    hi all,
    i'm trying to find a similar expression to "clin d'oeil" in French for an essay i'm writing about a man who sees life as a poker game. In a sentence, i say that "even his horse is named 'Five Spot', tip of the hat to the playing card bearing the number five". I dont know where this comes from, but i had in mind that its meaning was near to that of "clin d'oeil". Any help most appreciated!

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    If I understand what you are trying to say, I don't think "tip of the hat" really works, at least in AE. But you could say ".... named 'Five Spot,' a nod to the playing card..." :)

Hope it helps...

pitchou

Belgium French
    right, thanks, i hadn't even thought of looking 'clin d'oeil' up, as i was focusing on 'tip of the hat'.
    But anyway, when do you use "tip of the hat"?

pyan

English, UK, London
    A tip of the hat is the old-fashioned, stuffy equivalent of "a nod of the head". "A tip of the hat" is recognizable to me in British English but I would use "a nod towards". Figuratively you can use "nod to," "nod towards" or "tip the hat to" to point out a connection, show respect for or acknowledge a relationship, as in your example.

Julie_Caen

Français
    Bonjour,

Dans un roman, l'auteur fait plusieurs "clins d'oeil" à des amis en donnant leurs noms/prénoms/caractéristiques physiques à des personnages.

Peut-on dire "He did some winks to his friends" dans cette idée, abstraite, en anglais ?

Merci !

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hello Julie_Caen,
    Welcome to the forums.

In the context of a figurative meaning how about :
    In his novel, the writer made several allusions (veiled references) to his friends by attributing their names/first names/physical characteristics to characters (in the story).

ando51

UK, English
    This is a quote from a maker of a famous line of bags. I'm not at all sure what clin d'oeil means here, I don't see how it could be wink. Does it have other more figurative meanings? Thanks for any help!
    Depuis 1854 on a en permanence observé le monde dans son évolution et
    et on toujours fait évolué la gamme de bagages en fonction des moyens de transport. »
    « Il y'en a plein d'histoires sur le monogramme, je dirais que c'est un clin d'oeil".