clinched playoff berth

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Mithenks, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Mithenks New Member

Italy
    Ny Times, sezione sport, risultati dell'American League di Baseball.
    Nella classifica, la prima in classifica (i Boston Red Sox) ha un asterisco che rimanda a
    questa frase

* = clinched playoff berth

A intuito direi che hanno conquistato l'accesso ai playoff ?
    Qual è la traduzione esatta ?

Thank you all :)

2. TimLA

TimLA Member Emeritus

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Penso che sia:

...hanno vinto un posto nei playoff.
    ...hanno afferrato un posto nei playoff. (???:eek::cross:)

3. Parergon Senior Member

Switzerland
    Italiano, Italia
    Penso tu possa anche usare il verbo ottenere – hanno ottenuto...

4. Mithenks New Member

Italy
    Cavoli come siete veloci su questo forum :thumbsup:

:D

5. TrentinaNE

TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    The verb clinch is almost always used when referring to the situation where a team is assured of making the playoffs regardless of what occurs during the rest of the regular season games. For example, in the 162-game baseball season, suppose that with 4 games to go the team in first place has a won-loss record of 94 - 64 (158 decisions total), and the second place team's record is 89 - 69 (also 158 decisions). The first-place team has clinched first place (and therefore "a playoff berth", i.e., the right to advance to the championship playoffs) because even if they lose the remaining 4 games (ending at 94 - 68) and the second-place teams wins their remaining 4 games (ending at 93 - 69), the standings won't change.

I was thinking about why "clinch" rather than some other verb, and I think it might be a combination of two meanings given at the WR dictionary: (1) to settle conclusively as in "clinch a deal" and (6) to hold a boxing opponent with one or both arms so as to prevent punches. Once a championship/playoff spot has been "clinched," the leading team has settled a question and can rest to save their energy for the next round (it doesn't matter what "punches" their opponents throw). But maybe I'm reading too much into the latter definition. ;)

Ciao,
    Elisabetta

6. Parergon Senior Member

Switzerland
    Italiano, Italia
    Elisabetta, pertanto la semantica potrebbe essere più simile al verbo "garantire/assicurare" (e.g. il team si è (già) assicurato i playoff) che al verbo ottenere (o, conquistare). Spero di no aver frainteso la tua assai interessante analisi. Che ne pensi? :)

7. housecameron

housecameron Senior Member

Italy
    Italian/ Italy
    Si sono matematicamente assicurati
    ?