cling to the wealth

HyperHanabi

Bangkok - Thai
From the British novel "Follow You Home" by Mark Edwards.

===========================================

The old man explained how he had started to do illegal job, selling babies to underground market.

"I went back to some old contacts, people who had clung to their wealth. And the rest, as the saying goes, is history."

===========================================

I looked up for the definition and found two separated meanings.

1. to refuse to stop believing or hoping for something. ---> The people who gave up on spending their money on medical science for pregnant.

2. to hold on tight to someone or something. ---> The people who very stingy on their money.

I thing the 1. is make senses but i want you to confirm it.

Also could anyone give me explanation of "as the saying goes"? I had searched but still unclear to me. Could it mean "As everyone knows." ?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "I went back to some old contacts, people who had clung to their wealth. -> people who had retained [most of] the money that they had before the event/time by being extremely careful, fortunate, and/or devious.
    To cling to - to retain; to hold on to; to avoid parting with. In all case, often with a sense of desperation implied.

And the rest, as the saying goes, is history.
    -> And, as the saying goes, "the rest is history." and the rest [of my story] you already know.

as the saying goes = as the cliché says. In this case, the cliché is "the rest is history."

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Cling - to hold on tight to someone or something. They had clung to their wealth: they had not wasted it or allowed it to be taken from them. The context may make this clearer.

"...and the rest is history" is a common expression (or "saying"), meaning "...and everyone knows what happened next, so I will spare you the details". It's usually something positive - e.g. the speaker got lucky, or his business was a great success.

And the rest is history!
    the rest is history

(crossposted)

< Previous | Next >