"Clipping back"?

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi my friends.
Could you please elaborate this "clipping back" in the below passage for me?
Thanks you very much

Consumer tastes change so quickly these days,and that's where we suffered,and lost market share.The directors,once ir
was clear what was happening,attacked the problem and looked at various options.
They could have looked to generate revenues with a share issure,but I think they were right to go for
clipping back by reducing expenditure wherever possible.

• Copyright

American English
    I assume by "clipping back" that they mean "cutting back." I've never heard "clipping back." Can you tell us the source of your quote?

On another note, you're missing a lot of spaces (after every punctuation mark) in your transcription.

Biffo

English - England
    Hi my friends.
    Could you please elaborate this "clipping back" in the below passage for me?
    Thanks you very much

Consumer tastes change so quickly these days,and that's where we suffered,and lost market share.The directors,once ir
    was clear what was happening,attacked the problem and looked at various options.
    They could have looked to generate revenues with a share issure,but I think they were right to go for
    clipping back by reducing expenditure wherever possible.
    I am not a financial expert but this looks like a variant on the more usual expression, "cutting back". I get the sense that 'clipping' is done more carefully and precisely (and also less drastically) than 'cutting.'

In any case it means to reduce something. They could fire people for example but in this case they found ways to reduce spending.

(cross-posted)

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    I assume by "clipping back" that they mean "cutting back." I've never heard "clipping back." Can you tell us the source of your quote?

On another note, you're missing a lot of spaces (after every punctuation mark) in your transcription.
    Thank you firstly. This passage is a listening test material of the Cambridge Business English Certificate.
    Well, if some native speakers don't even know what it is,or don't use it, then I guess I'll just forget it.

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    I am not a financial expert but this looks like a variant on the more usual expression, "cutting back". I get the sense that 'clipping' is done more carefully and precisely (and also less drastically) than 'cutting.'

In any case it means to reduce something. They could fire people for example but in this case they found ways to reduce spending.

(cross-posted)
    Thank you very much.
    But I want to ask what "cross-posted" means?

< Previous | Next >