clipping the wind

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

What does "clipping the wind" mean? As in,
"She stretched her left arm out the window, clipping the wind as it flowed between her fingers."
(She was riding in a car.)

From Kissed in Paris by Juliette Sobanet

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I assume that she had her fingers stretched out, and was opening and closing them as if they were scissors and thus clipping (or cutting) the wind.

susanna76

Romanian
    Oh, that could be, even though it is that, it could have been described better/further, I think. Thank you, Paul!

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I don't think "like scissors", as that gesture involves only the forefinger & middle finger with the ring finger and pinky folded against the palm. I see her fingers spread out like a fan as she's opening and closing them, as though she were "...grasping at the wind." ?

Packard

USA, English
    And I think of it as having your palm to the wind and then turning your hand so it no longer catches the wind and then repeating.

But in general I think you could just assume that she is playing with the wind pressure and her hand. The specifics are probably not important.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I don't feel like trying to interpret this because the author has written her fingers 'out the window', American I guess, but I agree with Packard's:
    [But in general I think you could just assume that she is playing with the wind pressure and her hand. The specifics are probably not important.

/QUOTE]

< Previous | Next >