cloak spread across the puddle

hatchoi

Vietnamese
I don't know what stories behinde this phrase "cloak spread across the puddle". I have to translate this piece into Vietnamese so would you mind explain this phrase to me?

As for the cloak spread across the puddle for the Queen, the story originated after Raleigh’s death with the historian Thomas Fuller. It only became famous as a result of Walter Scott’s 1821 Elizabethan romance, Kenilworth..

Source:http://www.epubbud.com/read.php?g=EZR6U5X8&p=33

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I think that there must be some story about 'the cloak spread across the puddle for the Queen' which is ascribed to Raleigh by many people, or which he takes part in, and which was probably revealed by the historian Thomas Fuller.

EDIT: here is what it means:
    Sir Walter Raleigh Never Laid His Cloak before the Feet of Queen Elizabeth.

Seaman, courtier, explorer, poet, privateer, and soldier of fortune, Sir Walter Raleigh was unquestionably the hands-down favorite of Queen Elizabeth I, even though he was far from handsome, being endowed with a long face, a high forehead, and "pig eyes." However, that he once stepped forth from a crowd, gallantly doffed his cloak, and threw it over a mud puddle to protect the feet of the passing queen is pure fiction.
    [...]
    The story of the cloak and the mud puddle probably originated with historian Thomas Fuller, known for his imaginative elaborations on historical fact. Later, Sir Walter Scott kept the myth alive in his 1821 Elizabethan romance, Kenilworth. "Hark ye, Master Raleigh, see thou fail not to wear thy muddy cloak," the queen exhorts Sir Walter, "in token of penitence, till our pleasure be further known." Sir Walter vows never to clean the cloak, and later the queen, delighted with his gallantry, invites him to visit the royal wardrobe keeper that he may be fitted for "a suit, and that of the newest cut."
    http://www.trivia-library.com/b/sir-walter-raleigh-never-laid-his-cloak-before-queen-elizabeth.htm

[Cross-posted with Kate.]

Last edited:

JustKate

Yes, that's exactly the case, Thomas1. Sir Walter Raleigh was supposedly so gallant that in order to save Queen Elizabeth I from getting mud on her shoes, he spread his costly cloak over the puddle so she could walk on the cloak instead. I don't know if the story's real or apocryphal (probably the latter), but it's really well-known even in America. It's better known than a lot English history that is considerably more important.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >