clobber passage?

< Previous | Next >

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

clobber passage: a verse of the Bible interpreted as condemning homosexuality.

clobber: To strike violently and repeatedly

But, this is 'verb'...

Could you find proper adjective for 'clobber'(passage) for me??

• JamesM

Where did you find this, ddubug? I've never heard of such a thing.

[edit] Sorry, I just did a Google search and see that it's a set phrase. I don't know that it's something you'd want to change. It's a specific phrase referring to specific passages (as seen from a specific point of view.)

I suppose you could think of it as "clobbering" passage, a passage used to metaphorically beat someone else with, but I wouldn't re-word it if you were planning to use it.

JamesM

What do you mean by 'proper', ddubug? As James says, clobber passage seems to be quite a well used phrase.
    I think I got about 161 hits in Google on it. I had never heard it before. It seems to be a catchphrase of some kind (in the same way that Rush Limbaugh's "drive-by media" is a catchphrase.) I wouldn't recommend changing the wording of any catchphrase.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "well used", se16teddy. There are definitely examples of it but I don't think it's a phrase in general use in the U.S. I'd say it was a "niche phrase". :)

ewie

English English
    Homophobic is the formal word for that kind of passage. There are also gay-bashing and queer-bashing [in BE] ~ you need to be careful how you use these two, as they may cause offence.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that "clobber passage" has been used to describe parts of the Bible that condemn a variety of behaviors, not just to homosexuality. There's no shortage of things that people want others to stop doing for their own good. To quote Heinlein:

Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws— always for other fellow. A murky part of us, something we had before we came down out of trees, and failed to shuck when we stood up. Because not one of those people said: "Please pass this so that I won't be able to do something I know I should stop." Nyet, tovarishchee, was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them "for their own good"—not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it.
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Trisia

Romanian
    Aren't you two boys drifting a bit off-course?
    (Eh, don't I love doing that too)

I thought the Bible condemned hypocrisy and double-standards. And I'm sure I'm glad that according to it, laws and regulations it provides are there as guidance and the real rule is love.

Ewie :D -- somehow I feel that the misdemeanour the person in question got clobbered for was the fact that he never refused to wed the poor widow although he didn't want to provide his brother with an heir -- in other words, he wanted the woman but no headaches. Tsk.

JamesM

I can't find an example of "clobber passage" used in any context other than from people discussnig biblical passages on homosexuality. I do think it's a specific (and recent) catchphrase designed to lump these passages into one labeled group.

I can't find anything that refers to the person who coined the term.

Points of view about the Bible set aside, this particular phrase seems to have one specific purpose.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22clobber+passage%22

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    But, why "clobber" passage? I think it's because those who use it,
    (in their attempts to show love for their fellow man by demonizing him?)
    believe that they are clobbering either homosexuals, or perhaps those who
    accept homosexuality as one of many varieties of sexuality.

Random House Unabridged:

Clobber-

1.to batter severely; strike heavily: He tried to clobber me with his club. 2.to defeat decisively; drub; trounce. 3.to denounce or criticize vigorously.

Seems a little self-righteous (I'll smack him really hard with this bit of scripture, then you tell him to turn the other cheek, so I can really cream him with my handy-dandy hob-nailed clobber passage.) regardless of the target of the attack.

Some of the citations in the Double-Tongued Dictionary page linked above support this interpretation.

... it has become apparent that some posters have a little resource of 6 to 8 Biblical texts which they use to “clobber” pro-gay posters.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    You are right, bibliolept. I waded through pages of citations, and it appears that all,
    or very nearly all, are used by those who disagree with the thumpers/clobberers.

< Previous | Next >