close observation by/of teachers

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether to use "by" or "of" in this case:

Thanks to close observation by/of teachers, our students can stay on track and develop their potentials full.

By the above I mean the teachers observe their students closely. The observation is done by the teachers so "by" seems to make sense; however, the observation also comes from the teachers so "of" also seems acceptable.

May I know which one is correct? Thanks. :)

• Dryan

English - Northeastern U.S.
    Observation of teachers means the teachers are being observed.

Observation by teachers means the teachers are observing the students.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    Observation of teachers means the teachers are being observed.

Observation by teachers means the teachers are observing the students.
    Thanks. I forgot to ask one more thing. Do I need to add "the" in front of "observation"?

reno33

English - USA
    ...our students can stay on track and develop their potentials full. :cross:

I agree with Dryan - you need "by teachers" in your sentence. However, for the sake of completeness, you should know you have several errors in the text beginning with "our students...."

...our students can stay on task and develop their potential in full (fully).

EdisonBhola

Korean
    ...our students can stay on track and develop their potentials full. :cross:

I agree with Dryan - you need "by teachers" in your sentence. However, for the sake of completeness, you should know you have several errors in the text beginning with "our students...."

...our students can stay on task and develop their potential in full (fully).
    Thanks so much! Do I need to say "Thanks to the close observation by teachers"?

reno33

English - USA
    I forgot to ask one more thing. Do I need to add "the" in front of "observation"?

No....... you do not need "the" in front of "observation"...there's a grammatical reason for this....I've read it a million times but I can't reproduce it now. No doubt, someone will come to the rescue.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >