Close or closer to home

< Previous | Next >

Jignesh77

India- hindi
I am applying online for my son's Primary school admission.
One of the reasons I would like to mention is:
Close to home and work
Or
Closer to home and work.
Please elaborate on the usage of comparatives in this types of sentences. Please explain to me the differences in both structures and if it changes the meaning.
Thanks
Jignesh

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Is this an item on a bullet-point list, or is there more to the sentence? If the latter, please provide the sentence. Also, what is the point you are trying to make: that the school is near your home and your workplace, or that it is nearer to those locations than other schools?

Jignesh77

India- hindi
    I am using the statement to support my application.

Yes the schools is near to my home and work so would be more convenient for us if we get the admission in or Shoud I say "to "the desired school.

Last edited by a moderator:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Yes the schools is near to my home and work so would be more convenient for us if we get the admission in or Shoud I say "to "the desired school.
    You've said "near"(and not "nearer") in the first part of your sentence, but then used a comparative ("more convenient") in the second part, so it's still not clear what your answer is to my question in #2.

If you want to discuss the phrase "the desired school," please start a new thread. Let's keep the focus in this thread on "close" vs "closer."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The point is that if you use "closer", you need to make clear what you mean. Closer than what?
    You may want to say that you are applying to get into this school because it is closer to home and work than any other school would be. Or perhaps there is a specific school you want to avoid because it has a bad reputation (but you don't want to say that, so instead you say it's "too far away" from home or work).:)
    If you don't want to include such a than-clause, or if a comparison is not already implied because other schools have not been mentioned, then you should use "close", not "closer".

< Previous | Next >