close the loop

cauliflower

korean
Hello, guys.

I'm squeezing my head with this expression, "to close the loop."

Context is below:

When I asked her what she meant by that, she said that he 'always closed the loop' - meaning that he knew how to communicate well.

To communicate well?
In the book I'm reading, this expression appears a lot, but I don't get it.
Could you please explain to me more specifically and easily?
Thanks. :)

• deafening quiet

USA
    When there is a "loophole" in something, it means there is still something that isn't completely understood/worked out/etc. I think this expression might be saying that he's closing any possible "loops" of information, so that everything is able to be comprehended by the person he's speaking to.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Being "in the loop" means you're included in the communication about something, and usually this entails being kept up to date on a changing situation. If you're "out of the loop," there is "inside information" that you lack.

If someone says she "closes the loop" and means by that that she communicates well, I'd say she makes sure that when someone doesn't fully understand something, she takes the effort to make sure that he does, by whatever means. She'll try one approach, and then another if the first doesn't work.

Loopholes are a different matter.

deafening quiet

USA
    Oh, I didn't mean to say that loopholes were directly related. That just seemed to be the best example I could come up with at the time. To be in/out of the loop is better, but I just don't happen to hear it very often so it wasn't the first thing to come to mind.

languageGuy

USA and English
    If you think of a message going from one person to the next to the next and then back to the first person, you can see a loop is formed.

He always closes the loop means that he always makes sure he gets a reply to his message, or he always replies to messages he receives, maling a closed loop.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Does not closing the loop refer to acknowledging that the message has been received and understood
    A tells something to B
    B indicates that it is understood.

One of the main elements of communication is returning the "message received" signals we expect. A good communicator not only imparts their own message, but they wait for the message received sign. (how else do we know when to stop speaking?) And they return one when addressed.

cauliflower

korean
    languageGuy said:
    If you think of a message going from one person to the next to the next and then back to the first person, you can see a loop is formed.

He always closes the loop means that he always makes sure he gets a reply to his message, or he always replies to messages he receives, maling a closed loop.
    Yeah, I wanted this! When I come across some expressions I feel came out of nowhere, I need this sort of image-creating explanation. Images or the origin of idioms are very helpful to understand. Thanks to all of you.

Woodlot_Manager

English - Canadian
    I am with languageguy 100%. I use the term regularly and that is the exact meaning that I apply to it. If you don't close the loop you leave it hanging.

< Previous | Next >