close to being/be

< Previous | Next >

qizi

Chinese
Daily Telegraph is theoretically independent, but in practice very close to being an organ of the Conservative Party.
Could I use "be" instead of "being" here? Thank you.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The 'to' before the verb is the preposition: it is close to the wall, close to the Conservative Party, and so on. It's not the infinitive marker. So when it's followed by a clause, that needs to be a gerund-participial clause, the same as for other prepositions: because of being an organ, as well as being an organ, far from being an organ, etc.

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks, owlman, but could you tell me why?
    The 'to' before the verb is the preposition: it is close to the wall, close to the Conservative Party, and so on. It's not the infinitive marker. So when it's followed by a clause, that needs to be a gerund-participial clause, the same as for other prepositions: because of being an organ, as well as being an organ, far from being an organ, etc.
    Entangled Bank has done a better job of explaining this than I could. Does the answer make sense to you, Qizi?

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi there, I'm reviving this thread and hope someone can help me work out my doubt:

What kind of things will he do? Are we going to get hypnotized? Will we be close enough to see anything?
    I read this paragraph, in which a girl is going to attend a hypnosis show. According to the previous posts, shoudn't it be "Will we be close enough to seeing anything?"

< Previous | Next >