closed for (the month of) July

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
The library will be closed for the month of July due to renovations.

The library will be closed for July due to renovations.

Does the addition of "for the month" make certain that the library will be closed for the entire month? Does sentence two leave room for ambiguity and open the possibility that the library will be reopened sometime in July if circumstances permit (e.g) renovations finished earlier than scheduled)?

• Copyright

American English
    I don't think the meanings are different -- I wouldn't expect a library closed for July to be open any day in July. But I wouldn't use for, preferring "Closed during July" or "Closed in July" or the original with "for the month of."

"Closed for July" sounds too much like "Closed for renovation." (For me.)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you Copyright and Franco. Now that you mention the problem of "for July", it does run the risk of sounding like the library will be closed simply because of the month, rather than the renovations that are undergoing in that month.

Grefsen

English - United States
    I don't think the meanings are different -- I wouldn't expect a library closed for July to be open any day in July. But I wouldn't use for, preferring "Closed during July" or "Closed in July" or the original with "for the month of."

"Closed for July" sounds too much like "Closed for renovation." (For me.)
    I agree with Copyright and prefer using "closed during July" since it is less wordy than "closed for the month of July."

< Previous | Next >