Closer

< Previous | Next >

volver

french belgium
Hello,

I wish that Australia would be closer to Europe then I will go there more often.

Is my sentence well constructed ? I want to use closer but is that correct ?

Thank you

VOVLER

• spielenschach

Portugal . Portuguese
    Belgrade Analysts: Vote Result Brings Serbia Closer to Europe ... election result as a setback to reform and hopes that Serbia would move closer to Europe. ..

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Normally, I would say I wish that X were true, so I could Y, so for your example, volver, I wish that Australia were closer to Europe, so I could go there more often. The second part of the sentence is a little awkward as you give it. We can change the sentence around a little, which would give If Australia were closer to Europe I would go there more often.

JamesM

Normally, I would say I wish that X were true, so I could Y, so for your example, volver, I wish that Australia were closer to Europe, so I could go there more often. The second part of the sentence is a little awkward as you give it. We can change the sentence around a little, which would give If Australia were closer to Europe I would go there more often.
    I second the "I wish that X were Y..." if it's speaking about something that could not be true, such as Australia moving significantly closer to Europe in my lifetime. :)

.opium.scented.

England, English
    Hello,

in the sentence you say 'if Australia were closer to Europe I would go there more often' is this an example of the subjunctive tense used in English?

Thanks
    ~Opium

JamesM

The "were" is the subjunctive, not the "would". Click here to see a thread that discusses this. :)

The subjunctive describes a hypothetical condition. For example, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" is an old saying in English. It means, roughly, that if wishes for a horse could suddenly turn into horses, every beggar would be able to ride a horse simply by wishing for it. Of course, wishes aren't horses. (This saying is usually in response to someone saying, "I wish I...")

Other common sayings with the subjunctive:

"If I were you" (of course, I am not you, I am I)
    "If I were rich" (believe me, I am not :) )

< Previous | Next >