closet pig

angryboy

Japanese
Does it mean this person's closet is very dirty? like race around picking them up and put them all into the closet? it's just that closet and pig doesn't seem connect in one word to me.
thanks!!

Nobody would guess this about me (except maybe my sis), but I'm a closet pig! Not even my husb knows the extent. I only really clean when family & friends are coming over. I waste time on stupid stuff all day, then race around picking up and making dinner before my hub gets home. It gets bad when he travels for work....

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'Closet' used as an adjective just means 'secret'. (And of course 'pig' is metaphorical, although people tell me that pigs are actually very clean creatures.)

Copyright

American English
    In this case, it means she is a pig -- an untidy person. And she is in the closet about it, which means this is a hidden fact about her.

To be in the closet means that whatever it is describing is hidden from public view:

A closet homosexual -- someone who is homosexual but who hides that fact.
    A closet drinker -- someone who drinks too much alcohol but who hides the fact (perhaps by having only a glass or two of wine with dinner, but drinking hard liquor out of sight of others).
    A closet pig -- someone who is a pig but who hides the fact ... in this case by running around and picking things up before anyone sees the house is usually untidy.

Added: Cross-posted with the much more succinct natkretep. :)

angryboy

Japanese
    Thanks for your response, guys!! Come to think of it, I knew this expression such as come out of the closet, but it just didn't click! oh, so you can just make a word with something with a closet at the start? a closet smoker. a closet dancer. a closet ED. like that?

Copyright

American English
    oh, so you can just make a word with something with a closet at the start? a closet smoker. a closet dancer. a closet ED. like that?
    I'll offer a tentative yes, but I would want to see the term before I approved it. :) (Closet dancer, for example, makes me think you're taking very small steps in a very small room with a very thin partner.)

Copyright

American English
    sorry what do you mean by "I would want to see the term before I approved it" ?? x_x
    It was my way of suggesting that "closet [something]" would often work, but not always. Personally, I would decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not a particular expression was good.

angryboy

Japanese
    oh ok!! I don't know whether I will use that expression but when I encounter in a book or in the TV next time, I won't be wondering like "she is a closet pig? literally???" lol hahahaha

< Previous | Next >