"closet raver"

philchinamusical

Chinese-Mandarin and Shanghai dialect
Hi, everyone!

One line in Andrew Lloyd Webber's autobiography Unmasked says:
He might be a closet raver.
The context is that ALW is going to meet Cameron Mackintosh for the first time in 1980, so he kinda imagine what the latter might be like. Back in 1978, ALW joined the annual Olivier Awards ceremony produced by Mackintosh and gave some bad comments about the way the event was organized. Therefore Mackintosh claimed that he would want ALW to be hung, drawn and quartered, which was obviously groaning.

I just couldn't find the meaning of "closet raver". However, I kinda feel it means someone who only dares to talk loud before meeting the rival face to face. Am I right about this guess?

Thanks in advance!

• Yujan Chou

Chinese-China
    I think closet here means "secret," "low-key." So he is a raver, but he doesn't like to make people know about this aspect of his life.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    I think closet here means "secret," "low-key." So he is a raver, but he doesn't like to make people know about this aspect of his life.
    That is exactly right.
    I kinda feel it means someone who only dares to talk loud before meeting the rival face to face. Am I right about this guess?
    You have misunderstood the word "raver". Here, it means a follower of "rave" music, popular dance music, primarily of the 1980s and 1990s.

When the British government tried to ban "raves" (impromptu all-night gatherings where rave music was played), the description of rave music written into the act (Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994) was “characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats”. I don't think it was ever tested in a court of law.

< Previous | Next >