closing title sequence

< Previous | Next >

Moviefans

Chinese
Hello,
Does this phrase mean "the rolling list at the end of a serial or film"?

Why it seems to me a little strange? Do you have other expressions of this?

Thank you.

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I asked my brother, who sometimes writes films, and he says that yes, you are exactly right.

Why does it seem a little strange? We are talking about the film world, right?
    :)

Ole Dame

USA
    English-United States
    Hello,
    Does this phrase mean "the rolling list at the end of a serial or film"?

Why it seems to me a little strange? Do you have other expressions of this?

Thank you.
    I think this phrase is a little outdated. If I recall, older movies (such as from the 30's or 40's) used to finish the film with a sequence of "slides" that each had starring actors' and actresses' names (one per slide) accompanied by music. It would usually finish witha slide that had the title of the movie. This was similar to the opening title slides followed by the main actors' names.

Now we usually just refer to it as the credits, or the rolling credits.

I hope this helps!

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Well, it could be old fashioned, but it seems that it is still in use, at least among the older denizens of Filmworld.

JamesM

I would characterize "closing title sequence" as the technically accurate name, while "credits" is what you would hear from the average moviegoer not involved in the film industry.

I often hear people say, "I don't want to stay for the credits" or "Let's stay for the credits! There might be a surprise at the end." I have never heard "Let's stay for the closing title sequence", although it does appear to be the correct technical term for that portion of the film.

< Previous | Next >