clothes torn off

< Previous | Next >
  • marsplastic

Korean
    Sorry I thought that wouldn't be enough context though
    I can't think any other alternative verb for that.
    What I mean is
    I had a fight with my friend and my friend grabbed my shirt so my sleeves ~~~.
    can you get what I'm saying?

Copyright

American English
    Torn off sounds right... and now I'm going to try to imagine what sort of fight you had where both your shirt sleeves were torn off. As long as an arm wasn't torn off, however, I guess you're all right. Ripped off is another thought for both shirts and arms.

Uncle Bob

British English
    Hello,
    A few suggestions for more complete phrases using Copyright's torn and ripped:
    "...so my sleeves were torn off. "(Sing. "...so one of my sleeves was torn off" - a less violent fight?)
    "...so my sleeves got torn off. " (Sing. "...so one of my sleeves got torn off.")
    "...so my sleeves tore off." (Sing. "...so one of my sleeves tore off.")
    "...so my sleeves were ripped off." (Sing. "...so one of my sleeves was ripped off.")
    "...so my sleeves got ripped off." (Sing. "...so one of my sleeves got ripped off.")
    Note: "get/got" here ~ "become/became"
    I expect there are a lot of other possibilities.

marsplastic

Korean
    Torn off sounds right... and now I'm going to try to imagine what sort of fight you had where both your shirt sleeves were torn off. As long as an arm wasn't torn off, however, I guess you're all right. Ripped off is another thought for both shirts and arms.
    So If I just say 'my sleeves are torn off' to you, can you get what I'm saying?
    or you would need an explanation like above what I did.

That was just a example to try to explain. That was the only one I could come up with :D

Uncle Bob

British English
    Thanks
    I got it.
    I fell on the stairs so my jeans got ripped off.
    I doubt it!
    Sleeves being "torn off/ripped off" means they were removed from the shirt entirely. One doesn't usually lose one's trousers completely when falling on the stairs - though they do get torn or ripped!
    In other words, you mean "torn/ripped" and not "torn off/ripped off".
    (Now you will understand Copyright's surprise at the violence of the fight!)

marsplastic

Korean
    I doubt it!
    Sleeves being "torn off/ripped off" means they were removed from the shirt entirely. One doesn't usually lose one's trousers completely when falling on the stairs - though they do get torn or ripped!
    In other words, you mean "torn/ripped" and not "torn off/ripped off".
    (Now you will understand Copyright's surprise at the violence of the fight!)
    Thanks Uncle Bob.
    As you said, now I understand how to use.
    Thank you for everyone.
    I mean it

< Previous | Next >