"clothes" vs specific name (jacket, shirt ...) in daily conversation

stephenlearner

Chinese
<< Do you use "clothes" quite often in daily conversation? >>
Hi,

Or do you use a specific name like jacket, shirt or pants? Which one do you prefer in the following sentences?

Put on this piece of clothes / Put on this jacket.
How much is this new piece of clothes / How much is this new sweater ?
(Mommy back from shopping, said to his son) I have bought you a piece of clothes / I have bought you a new T-shirt.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    We say "clothes" quite often, but not "piece of clothes".

- Mom, where are my clean clothes?
    - Did you pack enough clothes for all nine days of vacation?
    - Don't leave your clothes laying around.

"Clothes" used in this way does not refer to any particular item.

We can say "a piece of clothing" (rather than "piece of clothes") but it is not very common, and still would not refer to a particular article.

What I've said applies to American English. I don't know about BE.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    piece of clothes does not exist as an English phrase - it is completely wrong.

It is "an item of clothing"

There is no sense trying to answer, "Which one do you prefer in the following sentences?" Once we have corrected them,

Put on this item of clothing / Put on this jacket.
    How much is this new item of clothing / How much is this new sweater ?
    (Mommy back from shopping, said to his son) I have bought you an item of clothing
    / I have bought you a new T-shirt.

you will see that they are quite different and their use will depend on the context. An item of clothing = anything that you can wear.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Put on this piece of clothes :cross:/ Put on this jacket.
    How much is this new piece of clothes:cross: / How much is this new sweater ?
    (Mommy back from shopping, said to her son) I have bought you a piece of clothes:cross: / I have bought you a new T-shirt.
    Hi

'Piece of clothes' is not correct. It would be 'a piece of clothing' or 'an item of clothing', but we do not use either of those expression in everyday life. In many situations we would refer to the item by its name, jacket, pair of jeans, or whatever it is. If we are talking about more than one item of clothing we'd usually talk about '[some] clothes'

I bought my granddaughter some new clothes today- a pair of jeans and three new tee shirts.

Haven't you any clean clothes?
    All my clothes are too big, now that I've lost so much weight

Hermione

sdgraham

USA English
    First of all, the rule here is to put what you are asking about in the body of the post - not just the subject.

They way you did it makes it difficult to quote the actual question in a reply.

Secondly, your thread title does not match what you are asking in the rest of the post.

Do we use "clothes" quote often in daily conversation? -- yes, we do.

Do we do so in in the manner you suggest? -- No, not even when the statement is corrected.​

As you can see from the above responses, we tend to be specific when it is contextually appropriate.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    Thank you for your reply. Really informative and valuable. Now I should stop making the long-term error "piece of clothes".

Brioche

Australia English
    We say "clothes" quite often, but not "piece of clothes".

- Mom, where are my clean clothes?
    - Did you pack enough clothes for all nine days of vacation?
    - Don't leave your clothes laying around.
    Don't leave your clothes lying around!
    Lay your clothes carefully on the bed.

< Previous | Next >