clouds in my coffee

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by pericales, May 21, 2007.

1. pericales New Member

Spain
    'There were clouds in my coffee...'
    Can somebody please explain me what it is meant by this sentence? It is from Carly Simon's 'you're so vain' song. Thank you.

2. bishikory Senior Member

México, español
    Recuerda que dice:

I had some dreams,
    There were clouds in my coffee…

This is Carly herself:
    "Clouds in my coffee" are the confusing aspects of life and love. That which you can't see through, and yet seems alluring...until. Like a mirage that turns into a dry patch. Perhaps there is something in the bottom of the coffee cup that you could read if you could (like tea leaves or coffee grinds). Carly Simon 5/17/01

3. Mafe Dongo Senior Member

Spanish-Colombia
    Clouds In My Coffee
    Can you tell me what the meaning of the phrase "clouds in my coffee" has in the context of your song "You're So Vain"? I can't quite pin down the metaphor. What are the "clouds" in your coffee? Samantha - Dearborn, MI

"Clouds in my coffee" are the confusing aspects of life and love. That which you can't see through, and yet seems alluring...until. Like a mirage that turns into a dry patch. Perhaps there is something in the bottom of the coffee cup that you could read if you could (like tea leaves or coffee grinds). Carly Simon 5/17/01

4. bishikory Senior Member

México, español
    ¡Ea, Mafe, ea!

5. Mafe Dongo Senior Member

Spanish-Colombia
    Jajaja..too late!