Clouds 'roar'

• Andygc

British English
    I think you'll find that American clouds are rather like British clouds - they make no noise at all. No thundering, no roaring. Thunder can roar, but that roar is produced by lightning, not by clouds. I'm more familiar with the rumble of distant thunder, or the sudden clap or crash of thunder from a nearby lightning discharge.

By the way, the visible electrical activity in clouds is "lightning", not "lightening".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Have anyone of you heard that thunder "roars"?
    Not me. I wouldn't say the 'thunder is roaring' but I might say 'the thunder crashed (and the lightning flashed'.
    To my way of thinking, thunder 'rumbles' and then 'crashes' as it draws closer.
    I'm not sure I ever use 'roar' for thunder. If I do, it would be the 'roar of thunder' but not the 'thunder roared'.
    Why not adopt what most people say they say. If there is no clear agreement, we will need to rethink our replies! :)
    Thunder can roar, but that roar is produced by lightning, not by clouds. I'm more familiar with the rumble of distant thunder, or the sudden clap or crash of thunder from a nearby lightning discharge.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    AE here. Clouds do not roar. Thunder is the sound that lightning makes. It is not a sound that clouds make. No lightning? No thunder.

But I would not call the sound of thunder "roaring".

< Previous | Next >